The purpose of the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) is to assure that UTEP researchers care for and use animals in ways judged to be scientifically, technically, and humanely appropriate. The committee provides research oversight and evaluation of the institution's animal care and
The IACUC is mandated by the
- Public Health Service Policy on Humane Care and Use of Laboratory Animals
- United States Department of Agriculture-Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
- U.S. Government Principles for the Utilization and Care of Vertebrate Animals Used in Testing, Research, and Training
- Code of Federal Regulations, 1989, Title 9, Parts 1, 2, and 3 (Animal Welfare Final Rules)
- and in accordance with the Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals.
What are the Responsibilities of the IACUC?
The responsibilities of the committee include:
- Review of the institutions animal care program at least once every 6 months
- Physical inspection of the facilities at least once every 6 months
- Preparation of reports on the IACUC evaluations for the Institutional Official (IO)
- Review of all concerns involving the care and use of animals at The University
- Make recommendations to the IO regarding any aspect of the animal care program
- Review, approve, require modifications in (to secure approval), or withhold approval of animal care and use protocols
- Suspend activities involving the use of live vertebrate animals in noncompliance; take corrective action and report actions to the IO funding agencies
Reporting an Animal Welfare Concern
The University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP) is committed to performing animal-facilitated research in a humane and compliant manner. The UTEP Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) has a mandate to evaluate concerns regarding the care and use of animals at this institution. Concerns may be raised by staff, students, or employees of the institution; individuals in the community; or even members of the IACUC. If you have questions or concerns about animal care and use at UTEP, please contact us. If you prefer to remain anonymous, you can contact the University Compliance Help Line
IACUC Meeting Schedule
Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) 2018
Meetings are scheduled for every the Friday of each month. Dates may be subject to change.
Submission DEADLINE is the 1st of each month by 5:00 pm (local time). *Except where indicated*.
Documents must be received and submitted on IRBNet by the deadline to be considered for review.
|July 1, 2021||July 26, 2021|
|August 1, 2021||August 23, 2021|
|September 1, 2021||September 27, 2021|
|October 1, 2021||October 25, 2021|
|November 15, 2021||December 6, 2021*|
|January 1, 2022||January 24, 2022|
|February 1, 2022||February 28, 2022|
|March 1, 2022||March 28, 2022|
|April 1, 2022||April 25, 2022|
||June 27, 2022|
|July 1, 2022||July 25, 2022|
|August 1, 2022||August 22, 2022|