EDUCATION AND OUTREACH ACTIVITIES
The Earth, Environmental and Resource Sciences Department at The University of Texas at El Paso strives to improve the understanding of and interest in the geological sciences by the general public through the development and implementation of various programs in our El Paso community and in our local public schools. Our Chihuahuan Desert backyard is an excellent large-scale laboratory readily available for the teaching and learning of geological concepts.
Outreach programming here at UTEP, in public schools and in our community is abundant.
Geoscience Activities include:
- Earth Science Week in October - Earth Science Week Agenda
- Earth Day Activities in April
- Guest Speakers in Geological Sciences
- Annual Student Colloquium in Spring
Outreach in El Paso County Schools is as follows:
- Halliburton Energy Adventure Workshop
- High School Science through NSF Pathways
- Science Fair Judging
- Community Connection with Instruction
Community Outreach Activities are:
- Celebration of our Mountains
- Texas Master Naturalist Program Training
- El Paso Gem and Mineral Show in December
UTEP Earth Science Week 2020.
UTEP Graduate student, Lynn Acosta at Desert Trail Elementary School Career Fair Day, February 2020.
UTEP Graduate student, Derrick Scott with Western Hills Academy students learning about stream behavior during Earth Day Week 2019.
UTEP Undergraduate Student, Amaris Bustamante at Ramona Elementary Earth Day 2019 event sponsored by Freeport McMoRan.
UTEP Undergraduate Student, Amaris Bustamante at Frank Macias Elementary