Dr. Li Research Group
Welcome to the Li Microfluidic Lab-on-a-Chip & Nanotechnology group for Bioanalysis, and Biomedical, Forensic, Environmental & Catalysis Applications at UTEP.
Our mission is to develop state-of-the-art microfluidic and nanotechnology for cutting-edge research in analytical chemistry, biological science, biomedical engineering, environmental and catalysis science and engineering.
We welcome talented individuals to join the group for innovative discovery in a multidisciplinary research environment.
- Two new postdoc positins available: (one for POC cancer biomarker detection using nanotechnology, and the other one for POC infectious disease study using microfluidic biochips): if you are interested, please send your CV to Dr. Li.
- 05/18/2023: A new paper about glucose detection by electrochemical detection was accepted for publication in Biosensors. Congrats to all contributors! "Henao-Pabon,+ G.; Gao, N.;+ Prasad, K. S.;+ Li, X.,* Direct Electron Transfer of Glucose Oxidase on Pre-Anodized Paper/Carbon Electrodes Modified Through Zero-Length Cross-linkers For Glucose Biosensors. Biosensors 2023, In Press."
- 03/15/2023: A new collaborative paper has been accepted for publication by Trends in Biotechnology. Cheers! "Zhang, C.; Liu, H.; Li, X.; Xu, F.; Li, Z. Modularized Synthetic Biology Enabled Intelligent Biosensors, Trends in Biotechnology 2023, In Press. (2021 IF 21.9)"
- 03/02/2023: A new paper regarding glucose detection has been submitted for publication.
- 02/01/2023: One of our paper is selected as ESI TOP 1% Paper! Cheers. "Sanjay, S. T.; + Zhou, W.; + Dou, M.; + Tavakoli, H.; Ma, L.; Xu, F.; Li, X .* Recent Advances of Controlled Drug Delivery Using Microfluidic Platforms, Adv Drug Deliv Rev 2018, 128, 3-28. DOI: 10.1016/j.addr.2017.09.013. (2021 IF 17.9).
†Clarivate Highly Cited Paper!
ESI Top 1% Paper! "
- 01/12/2023: Dr. Li is invited to become an Editorial Board Member, Microsystems & Nanoengineering from Nature Publishing Group (IF 8.0). https://www.nature.com/micronano/editorial-board
- 01/05/2023: Dr. Li was highlighted in UTEP News for his professional development leave award (Hosted by Dr. Joseph Wang at UCSD). Link for details.
- 01/02/2023: Welcome two new Ph.D. students to join our research group, Yasaman Mohamadi and Qiang Wang!
- 01/01/2023: Dr. Li is chairing a Faculty Search Committee for an assitant professor in forensic science and analytical chemistry. See the positions details.
- 12/27/2022: A new paper has been accepted for publication by View. Cheers! "Katla, S. K.;+ Zhou, W.;+ Tavakoli, H.; Mendez, E.; Li, X.* Portable in-situ temperature-dependent spectroscopy on a low-cost microfluidic platform integrated with a battery-powered thermofoil heater, View 2022, In Press."
- 11/02/2022: A new paper has been accepted for publication by Lab Chip. Congrats to Hamed and Elisabeth et al! "Tavakoli, H.; Hirth, E.; Luo, M.; Sharma, S.; Dou, M.; Dominguez, D. C.; Li, X.* A microfluidic fully paper-based analytical device integrated with loop-mediated isothermal amplification and nano-biosensors for rapid, sensitive, and specific quantitative detection of infectious diseases, Lab Chip 2022, In Press. DOI: 10.1039/D1032LC00834C."
- 10/26/2022: A new paper has been accepted for publication by Analyst. Cheers! "Li, H.; Deng, R.; Tavakoli, H.; Li, X.C.;* Li, X.* Ultrasensitive detection of acephate based on carbon quantum dots-mediated fluorescence inner filter effects, Analyst 2022, In Press. DOI: 10.1039/D2AN01552H."
- 10/24/2022: A new review paper on nanomaterial-based microfluidic platform for biosensing has been accepted for publication in TrAC Trends in Analytical Chemistry. Congratulations to Hamed et al. "Tavakoli, H; Mohammadi, S.; Li, X.C.; Fu, G.;* Li, X.* Microfluidic platforms integrated with nano-sensors for point-of-care bioanalysis, TRAC - Trend Anal Chem 2022, In Press. (Invited. 2021 IF 14.9)."
- 08/03/2022: We received a new major NSF grant award for the acquisition of major equipment XPS for material science and engineering (total funds: $600,000; PI: Li, Xiujun). Thanks to all people who support this application! Cheers! Now we move to the purchase stage. Stay tuned.
- 08/01/2022: Welcome two new Ph.D. students to join our research group, Somayeh Mohammadi and Samuel Ajiboye!
- 07/19/2022: A new paper regarding continuous flow nanocatalysis system on a microfluidic device has been accepted for publication by ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering. Congratulations to Kaiqiang et al! "Hu, K.; Ma, L.; Wang, Z.;* Fernandez-Delgado, O.; Garay, Y.; Lopez, J. A.; Li, X.* Facile synthesis and integration of polyvinyl alcohol sponge-supported metal nanocatalysts on a microfluidic chip enable a new continuous flow multi-reactor nanocatalysis platform for high efficiency and reusability catalysis, ACS Sustain Chem Eng 2022, In Press.".
- 7/18/2022: A new collaborative paper regarding nanomaterials for electrocatalysis was accepted for publication by International Journal of Hydrogen Energy. "Ge, Y.; Wu, Y.; Ma, L.; Li, X.; Román, M.; Chianelli, R. R.; Torres, B.; Villagrán, D. Amine and Carbon-pretreated nickel–molybdenum disulfide as bifunctional electrocatalysts for hydrogen and oxygen gas evolution, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 2022, In Press. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijhydene.2022.06.114."
- 07/08/2022: Our group received a new NSF grant for technology innovation in rapid infectious disease diagnosis (PI: Xiujun Li). Cheers！
- 07/05/2022: EClinicalMedcine, a Lancet family journal in which we published a paper (Dou, M.; Macias, N.; Shen, F.; Dien Bard, J.; Dominguez, D. C.;* Li, X.* Rapid and Accurate Pertussis Diagnosis on a Point-of-Care Biochip, EClinicalMedicine 2019, 8, 72-77), received a new impact factor of 17.03.
- 06/10/2022: Dr. Li is promoted to Full Professor! Many thanks for all group members' great work and every colleague, collaborator, and UTEP administrator and staff's strong support!
- 06/02/2022: A new manuscript regarding in-situ temperature-dependent spectroscopy was submited for publication.
- 05/23/2022: A new manuscript about cancer microenvironment and immunotherapy has been accepted by ADDR for publication. Congrats to Jie, Hamed and Lei et al. "Zhang, J.;+ Tavakoli, H.;+ Ma, L.; Li, X. C.; Han, L.; Li, X.* Immunotherapy discovery on tumor organoid-on-a-chip platforms that recapitulate the tumor microenvironment, Adv Drug Deliv Rev 2022, In Press. (2021 IF 15.5)"
- 04/08/2022: A new manuscript about food safety study was submitted for publication.
- 03/29/2022: A new collaborative manuscript about environmental study has been accepted for publication. Getahun, Y. W.; Gardea-Torresdey, J.; Manciu, F. S.; Li, X.;* El-Gendy, A. A.* Green synthesized superparamagnetic iron oxide nanoparticles for water treatment with alternative recyclability, J Mol Liq 2022, 356, 118983. (2021 IF 6.2)
- 03/19/2022: A new manuscript about paper microfluidic devie for pathogen detection was submitted for publication.
- 02/16/2022: A new paper is selected as Clarivate "Highly Cited Paper". "Lv, M.;+ Zhou, W.;+ Tavakoli, H.;+ Bautista, C.; Xia, J.;* Wang, Z.; Li, X.* Aptamer-functionalized Metal-organic frameworks (MOFs) for biosensing, Biosens Bioelectron 2021, 176,112947". Cheers!
- 02/08/2022: A new invited manuscript regarding cancer microenvironment and immunotherapy has been submitted for publication.
- 01/21/2022: Dr. Li was appointed as the new Director of Forensic Science Program.
- 11/19/2021: Congrats on Lei's successful Ph.D. final defense. Well done. All the best!
- 10/29/2021: Dr. Li attended a UTEP press release for the recent CPRIT grant for cancer research. This was featured at UTEP web homepage. Photos with UTEP President Dr. Wilson, Mayor Dee Margo (former), CPRIT CEO Wayne Roberts, Deans Dr. Kirken & Dr. Rivera et al. Also grateful to the great support from Dr. Brekken from UTSW and Dr. Bast from MD Anderson cancer center. https://www.utep.edu/newsfeed/campus/utep-awarded-6-1-million-grant-for-cancer-research-and-detection.html
or check local copy.
- 10/26/2021: A new collaborative paper was accepted to be published in Anal Chem. "Fu, G.;* Hou, R.; Mou, X.; Li, X.* Integration of 3,3’,5,5’-tetramethylbenzidine (TMB)-probed ELISA-like systems in a photothermal bar-chart microfluidic chip for multiplexed visual immunoassay, Anal Chem 2021, In Press. (IF 7.0)"
- 10/04/2021: Dr. Li was highlighted by UTEP HeadNews (UTEP Web Banner). "Researchers on track to move biomedical device from lab to marketplace". https://www.utep.edu/newsfeed/campus/researchers-on-track-to-move-biomedical-device-from-lab-to-marketplace.html?HomeBanner or check Local copy.
- 10/15/2021: Dr. Li gave a special seminar at UTEP, and also dedicated this presentation to the memory of Dr. Natalicio (1939-2021).
- 09/13/2021: A new collaborated paper regarding smartphone-based assay has been accepted by Chinese Chemical Letters for publication. "Zhang, X.; Wang, L.; Li, X. C.;* Li, X.,* AuNP aggregation-induced quantitative colorimetric aptasensing of sulfadimethoxine with a smartphone. Chin Chem Lett 2021, In Press. (IF 6.8)"
- 08/31/2021: Dr. Li is featured in The Prospector. https://www.theprospectordaily.com/2021/08/31/utep-receives-portion-of-grant-for-cancer-research/ . or Local copy.
- 08/28/2021: Dr. Li is selected as Chair – Elect of ACS (American Chemical Society) Rio Grande Valley Chapel.
- 08/18/2021: Dr. Li (Dr. Robert Kirken, Co-PI) received a prestigious CPRIT grant award (Cancer Prevention & Research Institute of Texas) for ovarian cancer study.
- 08/05/2021: The 2nd edition of the book "Microfluidic Devices for Biomedical Applications" that Dr. Li editted has been officially published, with updated contents, new chapters, and new features potentially for textbooks.
- 07/28/2021: Our recent review article is selected as a Hot article by Lab on a Chip. "Recent innovations in cost-effective polymer and paper hybrid microfluidic devices".
- 07/08/2021: Dr. Li is organising an approved Pittcon Symposium 2022 regarding nano-sensing.
- 07/07/2021: Dr. Li is organising an approved Pittcon Symposium 2022 regarding infectious disease detection.
- 07/04/2021: A new paper regarding quantitative colorimetric aptasensing was submitted for publication.
- 06/30/2021: Dr. Li received a grant award from UT System for ACUE Course in Effective Teaching Practice.
- 06/18/2021: An invited paper has been accepted to publish by Lab Chip. Congrats to Wan, Maowei, Sanjay et al! "Zhou, W.;+ Dou, M.;+ Sanjay, S. T.;+ Xu, F.;* Li, X.* Recent innovations in cost-effective polymer and paper hybrid microfluidic devices, Lab Chip 2021, In Press. (Invited)."
- 06/11/2021: We officially received another major NSF grant to develop simple devices for detection of multiple infectious disease pathogens. Cheers!
- 05/04/2021: A new paper regarding photothermal bar-chart chip has been accepted by Anal. Chem. Congrats to Wan et al! "Zhou, W.;+ Fu, G.;+ Li, X.*; Detector-free photothermal bar-chart microfluidic chips (PT-Chips) for visual quantitative detection of biomarkers, Anal Chem 2021, In Press."
-This is also the 100th publication in our group! Well done, and thanks to all team members!
- 04/30/2021: Dr. Li was selected a panelist to present in Biomedical Day.
- 04/18/2021: A new paper regarding multicolorimetric biosensors has been accepted for publication by Anal Bioanal Chem. "Ma, L.; Abugalyon, Y.; Li, X. Multicolorimetric ELISA Biosensors on a Paper/Polymer Hybrid Analytical Device for Visual Point-of-Care Detection of Infection Diseases, Anal Bioanal Chem 2021, In Press."
- 03/22/2021: A new patent received notice of allowance. Congrats to Wan et al. "ONE-STEP SURFACE MODIFICATION TO GRAFT DNA CODES ON PAPER AND ITS BIO-APPLICATIONS”, U.S. Patent (#15/826,072)."
- 2/28/2021: A new manuscript regarding photothermal bar-chart chip was submitted for publication. DOI: 10.26434/chemrxiv.14131514.v14131511.
- 02/10/2021: A new patent received notice of allowance. Congrats to Sanjay et al. "Apparatuses and Methods for Pathogen Detection Using Microfluidic Biochips”, U.S. Patent (#15/555,002). "
- 02/07/2021: Our group received a new NSF I-Corps grant to support translational development of our invention in thermometer-based biomarker detection.
- 02/06/2021: Lei received prestigious Keelung Hong Graduate Research Fellowship. Students selected for this fellowship can receive up to one years of annual stipend ($24,000) and $1,000 per year for travel to scientific meetings, dependent on satisfactory progress. Congratulations to Lei! Well done. Also thanks to the support from the Department and Dr. Keelung Hong.
- 01/26/2021: A new patent received notice of allowance. Congrats to Sanjay et al. "US Application 15/454,200 entitled SENSITIVE ELISA FOR DISEASE DIAGNOSIS ON SURFACE MODIFIED POLY(METHYL METHACRYLATE) (PMMA) MICROFLUIDIC MICROPLATES".
- 01/15/2021: We received a new grant from DOT and Texas A&M for study of COVID-19 to improve transportation safety.