Open Position: Assistant Director of Data Sciences
Job Title: Assistant Director of Data Sciences
Job ID: 5560
Location: El Paso, TX
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
FLSA Status: Exempt
Posting End Date: Review of resumes will begin immediately and continue until a qualified candidate is selected.
Earliest Start Date: As soon as possible.
Salary: Salary commensurate with education and experience.
Hours per Week: 40 hours per week standard 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
Hiring Department: Mathematical Sciences
Purpose of Position: The Assistant Director of Data Sciences would assist the Director of the PhD program in Data Science.
- Coordinate and oversee project management for data analytics lab activities that involve students.
- Coordinate and implement student advising and student internships.
- Effectively communicate with students about degree progress; Organization and supervision of student individual development plans.
- Management of student appointments, payments, and reimbursements.
- Supervision of students who work off-campus.
- Recruitment of new students.
- Solicitation and maintenance of student internships with outside organizations.
- Acts as primary contact person for outside groups and potential program supporters.
- Submission of departmental forms and supporting documentation related to student projects.
- Scheduling and organizing workshops.
- Oversee all assigned projects and project completion timelines.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's
objectives, policies and applicable laws.
Required Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor's Degree.
- Three years of related experience and training to the statement of duties and responsibilities; or equivalent
combination of education and experience. Occasional traveling required.
- Master's Degree or PhD in Mathematical Sciences or related fields.
- Proven ability and knowledge of using applied data analytics.
- Experience in a higher education setting, government industry, and/or external relations programs.
- Skilled in Project Management.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; stoop, kneel and crouch. The employee is frequently required to use hands to feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to lift and move up to 25 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment ranges from moderate to very loud.
The University of Texas at El Paso is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. The University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or sexual orientation and gender in employment or the provision of services in accordance with state and federal law. Discrimination on the basis of sex includes an employee’s or prospective employee’s right to be free from sexual harassment under Title IX of the Higher Education Amendments of 1972.