Ability Awareness Week
2018 October 8-12 2018
America’s Workforce: Empowering All.
Monday, Oct.8Union East Bldg., Tomas Rivera Conference Center (TRCC) Welcoming Reception; 8:30 – 9 am
- Commemorate achievements of Stephen Hawking
- Recognize 10th anniversary of Ability Awareness Week
- NDEAM Presidential proclamation – Cassandra Hernandez, B.A., MPA (UTEP) Dist. #3, El Paso City Council.
- Keynote Presentation “Disability: From Awareness to Equity” – Angela Frederick, Ph.D., Faculty and Social Justice Advocate
- Texas Workforce Commission – Vocational Rehabilitation Services –Employer Recognition awards
- CASS Opportunity and Challenge Awards
- Staff Ability Advocates Award: Julianne Flores
- Faculty Miner Ability Award: Beverly Argus-Calvo, Ph.D.
- Student Emerging Leader Award: Julissa E. Corona, LMSW
- Community Member Diamond Amigo Award: Cruz S Gutierrez, EPIFA
- Web Accessibility Recognition Award: Blackboard Central
Tuesday, Oct. 9Educational Seminars; (Union East, 3rd Fl., Templeton Suite)
- “Service Animals: Talking Paws,”, 9:00 – 10 am – C. Seymour
- “Disability, Domestic Violence and Protective Orders”- E.P. District Atty. 11am no Noon.
- “Violence in Silence,” 1 – 3 pm – A. Arredondo) English/Spanish translation.
Wednesday, October 10Educational Seminars; College of Education Bldg.
"Recommendations for Academic Programs to provide support for Students with disabilities” – R. Saks. Two sessions:
11 am - 1 pm, Coll. of Education, Building, Room. 100.
4 - 6 pm, Coll. of Education, Building, Room. 411.
Thursday, October 11Educational seminar; Acacia R., Union East Bldg.
- “Leading from Within: Disability and Employment” (Panel), 11:30-12:45 pm
Resource and Career Fair
Don Haskins Center, Concourse Level, 4:30-7:30 pm
- Up to 50 employers, disability support service providers, UTEP departments and technical assistance exhibitors.
Wheelchair Basketball game; Don Haskins Center; 6:00 – 8:00 pm Teams: El Paso Air Wheelers versus the Tucson Lobos
The national anthem will be presented by:
The Hillside Elementary School Singing and Signing Choir, which is a proud EPISD school under the leadership of Principal Cynthia Anderson. The choir is under the direction of: Gabriela Gamez, Veronica Martinez, and Dee Minton.
- Monica Castillo, Game Announcer