The University of Texas at El Paso and the Department of Housing and Residence Life supports and complies fully with all federal, state and municipal regulations regarding the sale, possession and consumption of alcoholic beverages. The goal of both the University and the Department of Housing and Residence Life is to provide a living environment, conducive to academic and personal development. The following policies apply to all residents of Miner Village/Miner Heights/Miner Canyon and their guests:
- No person under the age of 21 may consume or possess alcoholic beverages in Miner Village/ Miner Heights/Miner Canyon.
- The use of alcohol is permitted in a student’s unit if all participants are of legal drinking age and the door to the unit is closed while alcohol is being consumed.
- Residents who allow guests to enter a unit where alcohol is being consumed are responsible for both the behavior of the guest(s) and for the guests’ adherence to all applicable policies and laws. All guests entering a unit where alcohol is being consumed must also be 21 or older.
- Intoxication shall in no way limit the responsibility of residents or guests of Miner Village/Miner Heights/Miner Canyon from the consequences of their behavior.
- Residents shall not participate in alcohol related conduct which infringes upon the rights of others to a quiet, orderly living environment.
- Residents who threaten their safety and/or others through the use of alcohol, or require the assistance of staff will be subject to disciplinary action.
- Decorative containers or collections, such as empty bottles and cans, are not permitted in Miner Village/Miner Heights/Miner Canyon
- Alcohol may not be consumed in any of the public areas of Miner Village/Miner Heights/ Miner Canyon. Public areas include: lounges, laundry areas, stairwells, hallways, and outdoor spaces inside the gates.
- Beer kegs, party balls or other large alcoholic containers are not permitted.
REPEATED VIOLATIONS OF THE HOUSING AND RESIDENCE LIFE ALCOHOL POLICY WILL RESULT IN TERMINATION OF HOUSING CONTRACT AND/OR OTHER DISCIPLINARY ACTION AS APPROPRIATE.
The University of Texas at El Paso Department of Housing and Residence Life supports and complies fully with all-federal, state and municipal regulations regarding the use, cultivation, manufacture, sale, and/or possession of drugs or controlled substances.The following policies apply to all residents and their guests:
- The use, cultivation, manufacture, sale, and/or possession of drugs or controlled substances in violation of federal or state laws are prohibited by the University and are not permitted in Miner Village/Miner Heights/Miner Canyon.
- Residents are responsible for reporting the use, cultivation, manufacture, sale, and/or possession of drugs or illegal substances in any area of Miner Village/Miner Heights/Miner Canyon to a staff member and to contact UTEP Police immediately at 915-747-5611.
- The misuse of drugs (prescription, over the counter, or illegal) shall in no way limit the responsibility of residents or guests of Miner Village/Miner Heights/Miner Canyon from their consequences of their behavior. Any such use, possession or sale is in violation of the Regent’s Rules and Regulations, University policies governing student conduct, and is in violation of state law. In addition to criminal prosecution, student offenders will be subject to disciplinary action by the University. The minimum disciplinary penalty which will be imposed is suspension from the University for a specific period of time and/or suspension of rights and privileges for a specific period of time although permanent expulsion from the University may result.
The University of Texas El Paso is designated as a non-smoking environment by the University of Texas Board of Regents. Residents and guests shall not smoke on Housing and Residence Life premises, to include units, corridors, the grounds, the sand volleyball court, and the stairwells. When a resident vacates a unit, if additional cleaning or repairs are necessary due to smoking violations, appropriate charges will be assessed to cover the costs of damages, deodorizing and removal of odors.