To reimburse faculty, staff and students for use of a personal vehicle on official business.
The University follows state guidelines for mileage reimbursement for business use of a personal vehicle. The mileage rate is set by the State Comptroller or restricted by the University. An employee may be reimbursed for use of a personal vehicle if it’s most cost-effective as compared to a car rental. Strong consideration should be given to the advantages of having institutional insurance coverage while utilizing a rental vehicle for University business, especially when traveling out of El Paso County.
- The Constructive Car Rental Cost spreadsheet should be used to determine what option offers the greatest conservation of funds (worksheet requires estimated gas price information). The comparison between the Constructive Car Rental Cost spreadsheet and the estimated mileage reimbursement calculation using MapQuest should be used to evaluate and determine the most cost-effective mode of travel.
- Here are the steps to calculate your mileage reimbursement:
- Visit the TexTravel website to see the current state mileage reimbursement rate.
- Mileage calculation. The number of miles traveled by an employee for state business may be determined by point-to-point itemization. The estimated point-to-point mileage may be documented by using MapQuest. The itemization must be sufficiently detailed for the University reimbursing the mileage to verify the number of miles.
- If steps 1 and 2 are not completed prior to travel, the comparison must still be completed in order to determine the amount to be reimbursed. The traveler will be reimbursed the lowest, most cost-effective mode of travel.
Applies to all University faculty, staff and students requesting mileage reimbursement when traveling on official state business.
Last Updated: July 5, 2016