The business, or financial, model for UTEP Connect online programs consists of two parts: 1) the tuition and fees model and 2) the distribution model. These tuition models only apply to students enrolled in UTEP Connect programs, and the distribution model only applies to UTEP Connect-affiliated programs. All SCHs generated by students enrolled in the UTEP Connect programs are attributed to the academic program and college.
Tuition and Fees
To make the cost of attendance more transparent and understandable to prospective students, online programs have a bundled tuition and fee payment. Students applying to a UTEP Connect program are assigned a code designating them as a UTEP Connect online student. With this code, they are not charged on-campus service fees such as: Union Fee, Health Center Fee, and Rec Center Fee. They pay a reduced Student Support Fee.
Just as with any online class at UTEP, UTEP Connect students pay the Distance Learning Fee. This fee supports and enhances service functions related to online programming: instructional design, management, delivery, maintenance, recruitment, marketing, state authorization, and so on.
Additional Tuition and Fees
The tuition and fees listed below are not attributed to, nor tracked, by the Extended University Business Center (EUBC):
- Major and course fees
- Graduate differential tuition
- Tuition from non-Connect students enrolled in UTEP Connect online courses
- Students with the UTEP Connect program code enroll in 701, 702, and 140 terms and are assessed the UTEP Connect online student tuition and fees rate. (When appropriate, on-campus UTEP students are permitted to enroll in UTEP Connect courses. However, only those students with a UTEP Connect program code are counted in UTEP Connect’s enrollment and financial model).
- After UTEP's allocation of the institutional set-aside for financial assistance, 65% of the remaining designated tuition is allocated to the online programs; the remaining 35% is retained by the VPBA as institutional overhead. The Distance Learning Fee is deposited to Extended University’s accounts. Additional tuition (e.g. differential) or fees (e.g. major, course) are deposited to the academic college's corresponding cost centers.
- The college administrative officers of Extended University and the academic college collaborate to ensure that the appropriate instructional and supportive resources are available to sustain the success of the online program. Extended University is ultimately responsible for the online program's fiscal health.
- After enrollments, revenue and expenses are validated at the close of the long semester, remaining amounts for each college’s suite of online programs are rolled over to the next fiscal year for ongoing online program development. Funds can be made available to the program for the following:
- Adjunct Faculty/Graduate TA’s
- Course Development