Music Major Tests and Barriers – Bachelor of Music degree
- Upon entrance all students must take the THEORY PLACEMENT TEST . This will determine your placement in the theory sequence.
Barrier to enter upper level theory:
- MUST 2314/2112 (Theory and Aural Skills IV) with at least a C
Passing grade on the Theory Advancement Test
- Transfer students must pass the Theory Advancement Test . Those unable to pass it will be placed in course-work suggested to remediate the areas of the test with which they have trouble.
- If you do not pass the Theory Advancement Test you will not be able to complete a Bachelor of Music Degree.
- Students wishing to be theory-composition majors apply to the theory faculty upon completion of the theory barrier for upper level theory.
- Final recital/project: Theory/composition majors must present a final recital or project which is accepted by the theory/composition faculty.
- Upon entrance: Audition for admission to music major numbers. If not admitted as a major into MUSA 1195 after two semesters, You will not be able to complete a Bachelor of Music Degree.
- If you have not been in applied lessons for two semesters, you must re-audition
- If you flunk a jury, you must re-audition for continued applied study
- In the fourth semester of study in MUSA 1195, you must apply for upper level study in your performance area.
- If you are not admitted to upper level study in your area after 2 attempts, you may not continue as a music major.
Admission to upper level lessons is either as a performance major, a music education major or a theory composition major. A request to change your major will require re-auditioning.
Recital & Hearings
- Final recital(s): Music education majors must present a senior recital which is accepted by the area faculty.
- Music performance majors must present both a junior and a senior recital which is accepted by the area faculty.
- Prior to giving the recital you must pass a pre-recital hearing.