UTEP-UCSB Partnership for Research and Education in Materials
The main goal of our joint NSF PREM program between the University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP) and the University of California at Santa Barbara (UCSB) to increase the participation of underrepresented minorities, mainly students of Hispanic origin, in materials research. The students are involved in collaborative intercampus research projects that lie at the frontier of materials research for novel Photovoltaic (PV) applications.
The projects range from the design, preparation and characterization of interfacial layers to theoretical calculations that guide the syntheses of new compounds for incorporation in the photoactive layers of PV devices for maximum photoconversion efficiencies.
Specific Projects Involve:
- Development of the latest generation of theoretical calculations for HOMO-LUMO energies which will lead to accurate predictions of photoelectron-transfer mechanisms and guide the design of multiple heterojunction solar cells.
- Development of high-yield novel endohedral fullerene compounds with tunable electrochemical properties, which will lead to new electron acceptors for next-generation solar cells.
- Crystal engineering of fullerenes, which will establish supramolecular structure-function relationships for improved photoelectron transfer and enhanced efficiency photovoltaics.
- Molecular dynamics of semiconductor nanocrystal growth, which will develop simulations that predict functional nanostructured semiconductor epilayers…..
- Development of new interfacial nanostructured transparent conducting oxides with well-characterized composition and crystalline structure, to establish structure-function relationships and guide the design of next-generation interfaces for photovoltaics.
In order to apply, you must be a US citizen or permanent resident and a full-time UTEP student with a 3.0 GPA or higher.
New applicants - Please contact the PREM faculty whom you would like to work with prior to completing the application.
If applicable, they may write a letter of recommendation on your behalf.
Applications will be reviewed as positions are available.
ONLY complete applications will be reviewed.
Complete applications and (2) recommendation letters may be sent to
firstname.lastname@example.org or directly to CCSB 2.0306