How to Apply
Applicants should submit their materials through the Graduate School at the University of Texas at El Paso. On the Graduate School web site, use the "Prospective Student" menu, select "Admissions", then choose "How to apply?" module. Applications must meet all the requirements set forth by the Graduate School. Applicants should submit the following documents:
- An Official Transcript from each College or University that they have attended.
- Official scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or IELTS, if applicable. A TOEFL score of at least 550 (paper-based), or 213 (computer-based) is required of all international students who graduated from an institution outside of the United States where English is not the first language. For more information about the TOEFL please consult www.ets.org/toefl.
- A Statement of Purpose: all students applying to the program must submit a written statement of purpose of no more than 400 words. The following format is recommended:
- Academic Goals: In this section, state whether your final academic goal is an M.S. or a Ph.D. degree and explain why. State whether you intend to pursue the thesis or the coursework option. Describe your long-term career goals.
- Area of Interest: In this section, state your major area of interest in physics and explain why this area holds the most interest for you. Include information about any research or work experience related to your interest. Assess how your interest matches with the faculty interests and research expertise of our department.
- Background and Motivation: In this section, describe your reasons for deciding to pursue graduate education in Physics at UTEP. Explain how your background has prepared you to succeed in our graduate program.
- Additional Information (optional): In this section, include any additional information that you feel is relevant to your application for admission to the graduate program in Physics, for example, publications, patents, and special projects.
- Two letters of recommendation from individuals qualified to comment of the applicant’s qualifications. A good letter should address:
- The applicant's ability to sustain a steady and focused effort over a long period of time and over a broad range of tasks and responsibilities.
- Examples of the applicant's analytic capabilities and intellectual curiosity.
- Description of a situation in which the applicant has demonstrated initiative and the ability to understand his or her own strengths and weaknesses.
- Description of the applicant's behavior as part of a research or work team in a supervised environment.
- The Application/Processing Fee of $45.00 payable to The University of Texas at El Paso. For international applicants the fee is $80.00.