Student Success Tips
We all know that being a college student can get stressful at times, but what we also want you to know is that there are things you can do to have a successful college experience.
Get Involved at UTEP
- Join one of the 180 clubs or organizations at UTEP, make new friends, learn about yourself, boost your resume, learn about future careers, and have the opportunity to travel.
- Become aware of on-campus activities check emails frequently, read the Prospector and look at Campus Bulletins.
- Try to find an on-campus job, time management will become easier, and you will become more involved in the UTEP community.
- Visit the Counseling Center and Career Center to learn about possible majors and careers.
Stay Focused and Organized
- Use study groups or study partners they can help answer questions.
- Manage your time by using the Miner Guide Academic Planner.
- Take care of your health: Sleep, eat well, and exercise regularly.
- Study every day, review your notes after class, and don’t cram at the last minute!
Be Academically Successful
- Attend class regularly.
- Choose courses wisely and do not put off taking required courses.
- Learn how to study, find a method that works and stick with it!
- Ask for help! Professors, TA’s, Advisors, and staff are all here to help you.
Tips for Commuter Students
- Purchase your parking permit early through my.utep.edu.
- Use time in between classes for studying.
- Establish a routine for each day to maximize the time you have for studying, eating, working, and relaxing.
- Use UTEP’s many computer labs to complete school work while you’re on campus.
- Remember UTEP is wireless.
Tips for Returning Students
- Prioritize your responsibilities and goals.
- Allow for flexibility-unexpected events do happen!
- We have Child Care University Child Care Center (747-5270 or studentaffairs.utep.edu/childcare)
- Take advantage of resources available on campus (e.g. Tutoring, Advising and Student Development Center, computer labs, etc).
Working while in College!
- The best place to work is on campus; employers on campus are much more willing to work around your class schedule.
- Jobs on and off campus can boost your resume.
- Employment can help with expenses and give you valuable experience for future professions.
Go to Class
- Try not to miss class and sit on the front, it helps to stay focus.
- Don’t be intimidated by the professor and classmates.
- Be certain of your degree plan so you don’t take classes you don’t need, it will save you time and money; talk to your advisor.
- There’s no stupid question, someone is probably wondering the same thing.
Family is Important
- Take advantage of your family’s support, they will always be there to support you.
- Be honest with your family about the new challenges you are facing and make them aware of your daily schedule.
- Be a good example for your younger siblings make your family proud; make the best of your education.
- Campus Housing is a great option because everything is on walking distance.
- Optional housing near UTEP, search one that will suit your needs and budget.
- If you have the option to stay at home, live at home first year of college can be overwhelming. Take advantage of your family’s support. Besides you can save money for books and supplies which are not inexpensive.
Places to eat
- As a first option, bring food from home, you’ll eat healthier and save money.
- Eat on campus; you won’t waste time walking or driving to the restaurant.
- Put money in your Miner Gold Card so you don’t have to worry about cash.
What new students should know
- Don’t be intimidated.
- Manage your time well so you won’t become too stressed out.
- Take any opportunities UTEP offers you.
- The one thing you should know is make sure that you are involved, this does’t only give you a bit of social life but also helps you get in touch with people that you may have in your classes.
- Students should know about all the tutors available on campus. Professors’ teaching styles can be very different from what you were used to in high school.