Title IX FAQs

The following are frequently asked questions in regards to Title IX:

Q1. What is sexual violence?
Answer: Sexual violence refers to physical sexual acts perpetrated against a person’s will or where an individual is incapable of giving consent due to an intellectual disability or use of drugs and/or alcohol.  Sexual violence can occur between friends, classmates, spouses, romantic interests,  acquaintances, or strangers.  Examples of sexual violence include rape, sexual assault, sexual battery, and sexual coercion.  Dating violence, domestic violence, and stalking are also serious offenses.

Q2. What if I was under the influence of drugs or alcohol at the time of the sexual assault? 
Answer: Use of alcohol or drugs impacts an individual’s ability to consent to a sexual act and does not put the person at blame.  A person who is assaulted while under the influence of alcohol or drugs is encouraged to seek help and entitled to university and community assistance.

Q3. Where do I report the incident? 
Answer: UTEP encourages faculty, staff and students to report incidents of sexual violence including sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence and stalking immediately so that appropriate support and assistance can be provided to you and to ensure the safety of the community.  Please contact the Title IX Coordinator or Deputy Coordinators who can assist you with reporting.   
Q4. What is the process for investigation of a complaint of sexual assault? 
Answer: If you file a report, you will be contacted by a staff member to schedule a meeting to collect the facts related to the incident.  The purpose of the initial meeting will also be to assure that you have access to all necessary resources and that there will be no impact on your opportunity to participate in your educational program and/or ability to work.  You should be prepared to address any changes to your university living arrangements, academic program, or place of work that may be appropriate based on the circumstances.  Once you have filed a complaint, you will be updated regularly regarding the status and outcomes of the investigation.  You should expect to receive equal treatment for participation in the investigation and any subsequent proceedings as the individual who is the subject of the complaint. 

Q5. What should I do if I witnessed a crime of sexual violence? 
Answer: If you are a witness to a crime of sexual violence you should report the incident to campus or local police.  You may also speak with the staff of the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution, Equal Opportunity, or the Dean of Students who can assist you with further reporting as appropriate.   
Q6. What resources are available if I do not want to file a complaint?
Answer: A survivor of sexual assault is always encouraged to consult with trained mental health professionals regardless of whether the person elects to file a report with the police or other campus officials.  Mental health professionals typically can maintain confidentiality and should discuss their confidential privileges with you.  Seeking support after a sexual assault is crucial.  Refer to the on and off campus resources located on this website. 

Q7. If an incident of sexual violence occurs off-campus, can the University investigate?   
Answer: Yes, if the incident impacts the students’ ability to participate in or benefit from an education program or activity or an employee’s ability to work then UTEP can investigate and provide resolution.

Q8. If I think I have been victimized and I don’t feel safe, what do I do? 
Answer: Find a safe place from the assailant and call the police.  The Title IX Coordinator or Deputy Title IX Coordinators can coordinate other assistance and provide interim measures such as issuance of no contact order, change of parking or living arrangements.
Q9. My friend told me he or she was assaulted.  What can I do to help?  
 Answer: Encourage them to report the incident to the Title IX Coordinator(s) or UTEP PD.  
Q10. What should I do if I have been sexual assaulted?
Answer: UTEP encourages all members of the university community who experience any form of sexual violence to report the incident immediately and seek the support and resources available to them both on and off campus.   Please contact the Title IX Coordinator or Deputy Title IX Coordinators who can assist you with reporting and directing you to support services.

Q11. Who are “responsible employees?”  
Answer: University employees who have the duty to report incidents of sexual misconduct to the Title IX Coordinator or other appropriate designee, or an employee whom an individual could reasonably believe has this duty.  Responsible employees include, but are not limited to:  all administrators, faculty, supervisory staff, resident life directors and advisors, and graduate teaching assistants.  Although only responsible employees are required to report sexual misconduct to the Title IX Coordinator or designee, all employees, students, and third parties are strongly encouraged to immediately report any incident of sexual misconduct to the Title IX Coordinator.