Pregnancy & Pregnancy-Related
Providing Accommodations Under Title IX
The University of Texas at El Paso is a top-tier, open access research university that has long supported a culture of care and belonging for historically underserved students.
Title IX is a federal law that requires schools that receive federal funds to provide reasonable accommodations to students who are pregnant or have pregnancy-related conditions. This includes pregnancy, pre-natal doctor appointments, childbirth, false pregnancy, miscarriage, termination of pregnancy, or recovery from any of these conditions.
If you are a student and need to request an accommodation, please click on the Student Accommodations Form tile below:
Title IX for Pregnant & Parenting Students
Under Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, you are entitled to reasonable accommodations for as long as your doctor deems medically necessary.
It will be important to review each student’s situation individually, as reasonable accommodations will be highly dependent on the requirements of individual courses.
Examples of possible reasonable accommodations (when deemed medically necessary) are:
- Excused absences due to pregnancy or related condition
- Reviewing lectures online if available
- Opportunity to make up field / lab work
- Rescheduling of tests or exams
- A larger desk or other adaptive furniture
- Breaks during class, as needed
- Submitting work after a deadline missed due to pregnancy or childbirth
- Providing alternatives to make up missed work
- Assignment of an Incomplete grade (if eligible)
- Allowing “Withdrawal” with refund (if eligible)
If you have questions related to student pregnancy or pregnancy-related accommodations, please contact the Center for Accommodations and Support Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 915-747-5148.
You may also contact the Title IX Program at email@example.com or at 915-747-8358 if you believe you have been discriminated against due to being pregnant or a pregnancy-related condition.
- Find a Lactation Room on Campus
YWCA University Heights Early Learning Center
Center for Accommodations and Student Services (CASS)
Undergraduate Academic Regulations (leave of absence and other policies)
Supporting the Academic Success of Pregnant and Parenting Students (U.S. Department of Education)
Know Your Rights (OCR)
Pregnant and Parenting Student-Athletes (NCAA)
Pregnant and Parenting Students (National Women’s Law Center)