Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Region VI Higher Education Collaborative
The purpose of the FEMA Region VI Higher Education Collaborative is to establish a regional community of educators, engaged in an ongoing dialogue to share information and foster collaboration among colleges, universities, and Centers of Excellence in Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. Ultimately, these efforts will serve to increase resiliency and enhance disaster preparation and response efforts by emergency management and homeland security agencies, practitioners, and other affected stakeholders.
Receiving the latest news and updates from FEMA Region 6’s Higher Education Collaborative is as easy as signing up!
ADD ME TO RECEIVE UPDATES
The goals of FEMA Region VI’s Higher Education Collaborative are to:
- Maximize stakeholder engagement;
- Confront challenges facing academic programs;
- Incorporate practical experience and experiential learning into academic curricula;
- Promote diversity in the profession;
- Balance Homeland Security issues and Emergency Management principles in college and university programs;
- Bring together emergency management and homeland security academics and practitioners to share efforts and discuss opportunities;
- Promote research that addresses Homeland Security and Emergency Management issues.
We invite you to explore this page to find out more about previous meetings, the Steering Committee Charter, research and educational activities.
FEMA Steering Committee
Steering Committee Members:
- Wendy Walsh – FEMA Higher Education Program Manager
- Leah Anderson - FEMA Region VI
- Karen Nicholson – FEMA Region VI
- Dr. Ponmile Olonilua – Texas Southern University
- Dr. Sandy Smith, RN – Arkansas Tech University
- Dr. Patricia McIntosh - College of the Mainland, Texas
- Ms. Andria Smith – Northeastern State University
- Mr. Kevin Clement – University of Houston
- Dr. Victor M. Manjarrez Jr. - The University of Texas at El Paso
- Dr. Brandt Mitchell - Louisiana State University
- Dr. Shirley Baros - University of New Mexico
February 27, 2019 Meeting
October 22, 2019 Meeting
Learn more about the October 22, 2019 FEMA Region 6 Higher Education Collaborative Meeting held at Arkansas Tech University.