Request for Approvals of Outside Activities
- A Request for Approval form is submitted for an outside activity that will occur in the future.
- Outside activities that require prior approval are:
- All outside employment or other compensated activity
- Any outside activity, regardless of compensation, that reasonably appears to create a conflict of interest or a conflict of commitment; and
- Outside board service as described in Section 29.6.4 of the policy
- Note: Some activities may be considered pre-approved. (Please see section 29.6.3 of the policy for more information).
- All employees must electronically request and receive prior approval before engaging in an outside activity with annual approval required thereafter.
- The permissible level of time commitment to outside activities cannot exceed an average of 8 hours per week, during the term of an appointment, without approval of the President or designee and a written management plan.
- Employees must log onto the Outside Activity Portal to request approval at the following URL: https://apps.utsystem.edu/ActivityPortal/.
- Below is a training tool available to assist with completing the required request for approval:
- Tutorial Video (must log onto portal to view.)
All requests for approval should be routed according to the following process:
Academic Departments - The request should first be routed by the requester to the respective Department Chair. The request will then be routed through by each approver to:
2. Dr. Ann Gates, Provost Office (email@example.com)
3. Mary Solis, Institutional Compliance (firstname.lastname@example.org)
All Other Departments - The request should first be routed by the requester to the Director/Department Head. The request will then be routed through by each approver to:
1. Appropriate Vice President
2. Mary Solis, Institutional Compliance (email@example.com)
The Office of Institutional Compliance is the designated final approver for all requests for approval.