Why Get Involved?
Whether you are a new, transfer, or returning student, being involved is one of the most important aspects of your college education. Not only will you increase your likelihood of graduation, but you will also strengthen your skills and develop your Edge Advantage, which will assist you in finding meaningful employment and pursuing graduate studies. Through the Edge Experiences, UTEP provides you with great opportunities to explore your potential, take risks, and try out new things and ideas.
Here are some other reasons to get involved:
- It will make your college experience a valuable and enjoyable one.
- You will be part of the campus community and make new friends.
- You will build better relationships with other students, staff, and faculty.
- You will build a support network.
- It will enhance your interpersonal and leadership skills that are necessary for driving change.
- You will fulfill your civic and social awareness and responsibilities.
How Do I Get Involved?
As a college student, determining how to invest your time and energy will have a great impact on your college experience. To determine what sparks your interest, consider the following questions:
- What activities have you been involved with in the past that you have enjoyed? Some examples include student organizations, part-time employment, academic competitions, and community service.
- What are some new things you want to do while you are in college? For example, meet new friends, step out of your shell, and build leadership skills.
- What are your strengths? These may include listening to others, making others feel included, maintaining an active social media presence, and meeting people of different cultures and backgrounds.