UTEP’s Alternative Certification Program (ACP) has been re-designed! Beginning in summer 2020, the ACP implemented the following enhancements for newly-admitted candidates:
- a cohort model for teacher candidates going through the program together,
- intensive coaching and feedback from Site Coordinators,
- full-year Residency (student teaching),
- stipends for Residents,
- scholarship opportunities, and
- the option to pursue an accelerated Master of Arts in Education simultaneously.
Due to the significant updates in this new program model, the old program model has been phased out. Active (currently enrolled) candidates who entered the ACP prior to summer 2020 must complete all program requirements (coursework/training, field-based experience, state exams, and student teaching/internship) by May 2023.
Former (not currently enrolled) ACP candidates who wish to finish the old program model and who completed their coursework within the past five years may be considered for readmission per TAC§228.35(a)(5).
Candidates who do not complete the program by May 2023 must apply for admission to the redesigned ACP if they wish to pursue teacher certification through UTEP. Program requirements met under the old model do not transfer to the new model.