The Teacher Education Program at the College of Education (COE) is accredited and approved by the Texas Education Agency (TEA) to prepare teachers in 25 initial and 28 alternative certification fields across three different education levels. The COE also extends candidates the opportunity to become more marketable in the field of education by offering the coursework and preparation required to become Bilingual/ESL certified.
For further admission and program requirements, select the level of certification:
Upon successful completion of one of the programs offered through the teacher education program and satisfying all testing requirements, candidates must complete the certification process in order for the Texas Education Agency (TEA) to issue the appropriate educator certificate. Candidates must use their TEA Log-in (TEAL) username and password in order to complete the online application process. Forgotten usernames and passwords may be retrieved at tealprod.tea.state.tx.us.
Below are the steps to follow for the online application for certification process:
- Visit https://tealprod.tea.state.tx.us/.
- Access the system using personal credentials.
- Click on the Educator hyperlink in the middle of the page.
- Select standard certificate from the menu on the left of the page.
- Complete the application.
- Pay the required application and fingerprint fees and submit the application.
For questions regarding the certification application process, call (915) 747-8703 or email the certification office.
Please log on to your TEAL account and select the option View Certificates to print and/or save a copy of your educator certificate. If you do not see your certificate send an email (include your full name and phone number) to the College of Education Certification Office.
Here are some frequently asked questions:
- How do I know if my EPP has recommended me for certification?
- Log in to your TEAL account and select View Certificates.
- I do not see my certificate under View Certificates. Check for the following:
- Do you have any pending balances?
- Have you completed all EPP requirements?
- Is your degree conferred on your transcript?
- Have you applied for your certificate under your TEAL account?
- Have you paid the required fees for certification and fingerprinting?
- If you completed all the required steps, contact the Certification Office.
- My status shows applied and paid, but I do not have a certificate.
- Contact the Certification Office via email and include your full name and phone number.
- Why does my certificate have an expiration date?
- If you hold a/an intern or probationary certificate, your certificate is only valid for one-year and is non-renewable.
- If you hold a standard certificate, you must renew it every five years. For further information on renewing a standard certificate, click here.
Best wishes on your future endeavors!
Notification of potential ineligibility for certification
Any individual who has been convicted of an offense may be ineligible for issuance of a certificate upon completion of the Educator Preparation Program. For more information, please refer to the State Board of Educator Certification (SBEC) rules prescribed in §249.16. Individuals have the right to request a criminal history evaluation letter as provided in Chapter 227, Subchapter B (relating to Preliminary Evaluation of Certification Eligibility).