Applicants must meet the following requirements to be considered for acceptance into the ACP:
- Complete coursework within the field of study with a minimum GPA of 2.5.
- Complete 30 clock hours of field-based experience in the selected area of certification prior to teaching internship or student teaching.
- Complete 45 clock hours of professional development workshops.
- If applicable for your field of study, pass the Content and Pedagogy and Professional Responsibility (PPR) Qualifying Exams.
- Pass the Texas Examinations of Educator Standards (TExES).
- Satisfactorily complete one year of supervised paid teaching internship or 15 consecutive weeks of unpaid student teaching.
- Receive recommendation from UTEP and partner school district to the State Board of Educator Certification (SBEC) for a Texas Teaching Certificate.
- Pay in full ACP program tuition and fees.
- Upon completion of program, submit the Texas Education Agency (TEA) application and pay fees.
To view the Texas Education Agency (TEA) steps for becoming a Certified Texas Educator, visit the TEA website.