Applicants must meet the following requirements to be considered for acceptance into the ACP:
- Complete coursework within the field of study with a minimum GPA of 2.5.
- Complete 30 clock hours of field-based experience in the selected area of certification prior to teaching internship or student teaching.
- Complete 45 clock hours of professional development workshops.
- If applicable for your field of study, pass the Content and Pedagogy and Professional Responsibility (PPR) Qualifying Exams.
- Pass the Texas Examinations of Educator Standards (TExES).
- Satisfactorily complete one year of supervised paid teaching internship or 15 consecutive weeks of unpaid student teaching.
- Receive recommendation from UTEP and partner school district to the State Board of Educator Certification (SBEC) for a Texas Teaching Certificate.
- Pay in full ACP program tuition and fees.
- Upon completion of program, submit the Texas Education Agency (TEA) application and pay fees.
To view the Texas Education Agency (TEA) steps for becoming a Certified Texas Educator, visit the TEA website.
Notification of potential ineligibility for certification
Any individual who has been convicted of an offense may be ineligible for issuance of a certificate upon completion of the Educator Preparation Program. For more information, please refer to the State Board of Educator Certification (SBEC) rules prescribed in §249.16. Individuals have the right to request a criminal history evaluation letter as provided in Chapter 227, Subchapter B (relating to Preliminary Evaluation of Certification Eligibility).