International Student Health Insurance Waiver
International Student Health Insurance Waiver
Waiver Submission Quick Reference Flyer
UT System requires all international students in an F1, F2, J1, or J2 visa status to maintain medical, evacuation and repatriation insurance coverage while enrolled at a UT System institution. Accordingly, students are automatically enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) with the cost of coverage included in the student’s tuition and fee bill.
International students holding comparable coverage (which complies with the provisions of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act) may obtain additional information and apply for a waiver of SHIP coverage and fee.
The online waiver request form must be completed every semester by the waiver deadline (Wednesday, June 17, 2020). Late submissions will not be accepted, and the waiver will not be applied. If you do not submit a waiver or if your waiver submission is not approved, you will automatically be enrolled in SHIP and the cost will be included on your student account.
Insurance waivers granted in the past may not meet the new requirements of the Federal Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA). To learn more about UT health insurance requirements and PPACA please visit: http://www.utsystem.edu/board-of-regents/rules-regulations/rules/50402-health-insurance-requirements-international-students
You must meet one of the following criteria to submit a waiver request:
- Student is sponsored by the United States government.
- Student is sponsored by a foreign government recognized by the United States or certain international, government-sponsored or non-governmental organizations, and covered under a health plan that is compliant with the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA).
- Student is enrolled in an employer-provided group health plan or individual plan that is compliant with the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA).
- Student is enrolled in the UT System Employee Group Health Plan.
- Student is enrolled exclusively in distance learning and residing in their home country (not on campus or in U.S.)
If you meet the criteria above and plan to submit evidence of your insurance, your alternative health insurance plan coverage must meet all the following minimum requirements:
- Provides the Essential Minimum Benefits required by the PPACA with no annual limits.
- Contains no exclusions for pre-existing conditions.
- Covers 100% of Preventive Care as defined by the PPACA.
- Imposes a deductible that does not exceed $500 per year.
- Imposes no provisions for co-insurance that exceed 25% of the covered benefits per accident or illness.
- Is underwritten by an insurance carrier that meets the requirement of 22 CFR 62.14(d)(1) or offered or underwritten by a federally qualified HMO or competitive Medical Plan as determined by the US Department of Health and Human Services.
- Proof of Repatriation expenses in the amount of no less than $25,000.
- Proof of expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the insured to the insured’s home country of no less than $50,000.
- Dates of coverage must meet or exceed the semester dates.
If you meet criteria, please submit evidence of your alternate health insurance coverage and apply for a waiver by Wednesday, June 17, 2020; 11:59 pm MST (no exceptions) through the link below
Click HERE to submit a waiver
Once you have successfully submitted your waiver request you will receive an on-screen confirmation and an automated email confirming receipt of your request. Please make sure you receive this submission confirmation email and print it for your records. Should there be any problems with your waiver, you will need this confirmation email which contains your waiver request ID number. This automated email does not constitute granting a waiver; a separate email as to whether your waiver request has been approved or denied will be sent from Academic Health Plans within seven (7) business days.
For additional information or waiver assistance please contact Academic Health Plans Customer Service at 855-247-7587. For a quick reference to frequently asked questions about International Student Health Insurance Waivers click here.
Online Enrollment Certification
If you would like to certify your exclusive enrollment in distance learning and you are residing in your home country (not on campus or in the U.S.), please send an email (from your official UTEP email account) to HRSupportCenter@utep.edu to request a waiver.