Student Health Insurance Plan (2019 Summer Coverage)
As a student of the University of Texas at El Paso, you have access to health insurance. The University of Texas System is pleased to offer Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) through Blue Cross Blue Shield od Texas, administered by Academic Health Plans (AHP). This insurance protects students at school, home, and while traveling or studying abroad. The Plan includes comprehensive coverage compliant with the Affordable Care Act at the gold level. Please click here to view plan highlights.
Domestic / International Student Eligibility
2019 SHIP Quick Guide (Summer)
All fee paying students at a UT System institution who are taking credit hours are eligible to enroll in SHIP. This includes undergraduate students, graduate students, visiting scholars, and fellows.
Below is the cost of coverage for all fee-paying students, the cost of coverage will be paid directly to AHP at the time of enrollment. If you wish to enroll or get more information on the plan, cost, or information about adding dependents, call AHP at 1-855-247-2273, or click here.
Cost in USD
June 1 – August 14, 2019
June 17, 2019
Graduate Student Employee (GSE)
2019 SHIP Quick Guide (Summer)
2019 Graduate Student, Student Health Insurance (SHIP) FAQ
As a Graduate Student Employee (GSE) you have the option of continuing *Academic Blue coverage at no cost through the summer.
*If you voluntarily separate employment from the University during the spring 2019 semester, you are not eligible to enroll in summer 2019 coverage.
Is a Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) underwritten by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (BCBSTX) and administered by Academic Health Plans. This comprehensive plan meets the requirements of the Affordable Care Act at a Gold Level of coverage. Monthly premium paid by UT El Paso.
Graduate Student Employee (GSE) EligibilityMust be an active **participant under the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) for the spring 2019 semester.
**If a GSE voluntarily separated employment from the University during the spring 2019 semester, they are not eligible to enroll in summer 2019 coverage.
**International Students returning to their home country for the entire summer, should not apply for summer 2019 coverage.
Click HERE to Enroll
International Student Health Insurance Waiver
UT System requires all international students in a F1, F2 (not a citizen or permanent resident of Mexico), or J1, J2 visa status to maintain medical, evacuation and repatriation insurance coverage while enrolled at a UT System institution. Accordingly, students are automatically enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) with cost of coverage included in the student’s tuition and fee bill.
International students holding comparable coverage (which complies with the provisions of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act) may obtain additional information, and apply for a waiver of SHIP coverage and fee.
The online waiver request form must be completed every semester by the waiver deadline (June 18, 2019). Late submissions will not be accepted and the waiver will not be applied. If you do not submit a waiver or if your waiver submission is not approved, you will automatically be enrolled in SHIP and the cost will be included on your student account.
Insurance waivers granted in the past may not meet the new requirements of the Federal Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA). To learn more about UT health insurance requirements and PPACA please visit: http://www.utsystem.edu/board-of-regents/rules-regulations/rules/50402-health-insurance-requirements-international-students
You must meet one of the following criteria to submit a waiver request:
- Student is sponsored by the United States government.
- Student is sponsored by a foreign government recognized by the United States or certain international, government-sponsored or non-governmental organizations, and covered under a health plan that is compliant with the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA).
- Student is enrolled in an employer-provided group health plan or individual plan that is compliant with the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA).
- Student is enrolled in the UT System Employee Group Health Plan.
If you meet the criteria above and plan to submit evidence of your insurance, your alternative health insurance plan coverage must meet all the following minimum requirements:
- Provides the Essential Minimum Benefits required by the PPACA with no annual limits.
- Contains no exclusions for pre-existing conditions.
- Covers 100% of Preventive Care as defined by the PPACA.
- Imposes a deductible that does not exceed $500 per year.
- Imposes no provisions for co-insurance that exceed 25% of the covered benefits per accident or illness.
- Is underwritten by an insurance carrier that meets the requirement of 22 CFR 62.14(d)(1) or offered or underwritten by a federally qualified HMO or competitive Medical Plan as determined by the US Department of Health and Human Services.
- Proof of Repatriation expenses in the amount of no less than $25,000.
- Proof of expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the insured to the insured’s home country of no less than $50,000.
- Dates of coverage must meet or exceed the semester dates.
If you meet criteria, please submit evidence of your alternate health insurance coverage and apply for a waiver by June 18, 2019 (no exceptions) through the link below (Step by Step Instruction Guide):
Click HERE to submit a waiver
Once you have successfully submitted your waiver request you will receive an on-screen confirmation and an automated email confirming receipt of your request. Please make sure you receive this submission confirmation email, and print it for your records. Should there be any problems with your waiver, you will need this confirmation email which contains your waiver request ID number. This automated email does not constitute granting of a waiver; a separate email as to whether your waiver request has been approved or denied will be sent from Academic Health Plans within seven (7) business days.
For additional information or waiver assistance please contact Academic Health Plans Customer Service at 855-247-7587.