Student Health Insurance Plan
Fall Coverage 2019
SHIP Quick Guide
The University of Texas at El Paso is pleased to offer the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas and administered by Academic Health Plans (AHP). This insurance protects students at school, home, and while traveling or studying abroad. The Plan includes comprehensive coverage compliant with the Affordable Care Act at the Gold level. Please click here to view Plan highlights.
Undergraduate Students must be enrolled in AT LEAST SEVEN (7) credit hours EACH SEMESTER to be eligible for the Plan.
Graduate Voluntary Students must be enrolled in AT LEAST FOUR (4) credit hours EACH SEMESTER to be eligible for the Plan.
ESL Program Students
Fast Track Program Students
Scholars (including Visiting)
Groups with reduced coursework that meet the criteria
Students who are deemed full-time students by Campus
Health Institution Students
Students working on Research, Dissertation or Thesis
… ARE EXEMPT from the above credit hour requirements. To verify your eligibility status, please contact AHP directly at (855-247-7587) or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Below is the *premium cost of coverage for all fee-paying students, which will be paid directly to AHP at the time of enrollment. If you wish to enroll or get more information on the Plan, cost, installment plan option or information about adding dependents, contact AHP at 1-855-247-7587 or click here.
Domestic / *International Students
|Semester||Premium Cost in USD||Coverge Period||Census Date|
|Fall 2019||$1,059.00||August 15, 2019
December 31, 2019
|September 11, 2019|
*International Students will have premium cost automatically added to their Student fees.
Graduate Student Emloyee (GSE)
Student Health Insurance (SHIP), GSE FAQ
As a Graduate Student Employee (GSE) you have a choice between two (2) health insurance plans, each of which are comparable in terms of medical coverage yet differ in the premiums you pay:
Is a Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) underwritten by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (BCBSTX) and administered by Academic Health Plans. This comprehensive plan meets the requirements of the Affordable Care Act at a Gold Level of coverage.
UT SELECT Medical Plan
Is a self-funded “Global” PPO plan, administered by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas. This comprehensive plan extends the highest level of benefits and less out-of-pocket expense when utilizing a network provider.
- Your active enrollment as a Graduate Student and attending classes through at least the 12th day of fall 2019 semester.
- Appointed to and actively working a minimum of 50% (20 hours per work) for the duration of at least 4.5 months (135 calendar days) in a Graduate (Master’s/Doctoral) Job Title.
|Academic Blue||$0.00||Contact AHP at 1-855-247-7587 or click here.|
Click HERE to Enroll
International Student Health Insurance Waiver
Waiver Submission, Quick Reference Flyer
UT System requires all international students in a F1, F2, J1, or J2 visa status to maintain medical, evacuation and repatriation insurance coverage while enrolled at a UT System institution. Accordingly, students are automatically enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) with cost of coverage included in the student’s tuition and fee bill.
International students holding comparable coverage (which complies with the provisions of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act) may obtain additional information, and apply for a waiver of SHIP coverage and fee.
The online waiver request form must be completed every semester by the waiver deadline (September 17, 2019). Late submissions will not be accepted, and the waiver will not be applied. If you do not submit a waiver or if your waiver submission is not approved, you will automatically be enrolled in SHIP and the cost will be included on your student account.
Insurance waivers granted in the past may not meet the new requirements of the Federal Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA). To learn more about UT health insurance requirements and PPACA please visit: http://www.utsystem.edu/board-of-regents/rules-regulations/rules/50402-health-insurance-requirements-international-students
You must meet one of the following criteria to submit a waiver request:
- Student is sponsored by the United States government.
- Student is sponsored by a foreign government recognized by the United States or certain international, government-sponsored or non-governmental organizations, and covered under a health plan that is compliant with the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA).
- Student is enrolled in an employer-provided group health plan or individual plan that is compliant with the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA).
- Student is enrolled in the UT System Employee Group Health Plan.
If you meet the criteria above and plan to submit evidence of your insurance, your alternative health insurance plan coverage must meet all the following minimum requirements:
- Provides the Essential Minimum Benefits required by the PPACA with no annual limits.
- Contains no exclusions for pre-existing conditions.
- Covers 100% of Preventive Care as defined by the PPACA.
- Imposes a deductible that does not exceed $500 per year.
- Imposes no provisions for co-insurance that exceed 25% of the covered benefits per accident or illness.
- Is underwritten by an insurance carrier that meets the requirement of 22 CFR 62.14(d)(1) or offered or underwritten by a federally qualified HMO or competitive Medical Plan as determined by the US Department of Health and Human Services.
- Proof of Repatriation expenses in the amount of no less than $25,000.
- Proof of expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the insured to the insured’s home country of no less than $50,000.
- Dates of coverage must meet or exceed the semester dates.
If you meet criteria, please submit evidence of your alternate health insurance coverage and apply for a waiver by September 17, 2019 (no exceptions) through the link below
Click HERE to submit a waiver
Once you have successfully submitted your waiver request you will receive an on-screen confirmation and an automated email confirming receipt of your request. Please make sure you receive this submission confirmation email and print it for your records. Should there be any problems with your waiver, you will need this confirmation email which contains your waiver request ID number. This automated email does not constitute granting of a waiver; a separate email as to whether your waiver request has been approved or denied will be sent from Academic Health Plans within seven (7) business days.
For additional information or waiver assistance please contact Academic Health Plans Customer Service at 855-247-7587.