PhD in Rhetoric and Composition
The PhD program in Rhetoric and Composition at UTEP focuses on cultural and digital rhetorics and community engagement. Our faculty do work in community literacies, risk communication, health and medical rhetorics, second language pedagogies, intercultural rhetoric, service-learning, and user-experience. Our faculty receive grant support for their research and disseminate their work in respected and peer-reviewed venues.
The program prepares students for careers in higher education, business, industry, and government. Our graduates have secured tenure-track appointments at a range of institutions, including research-intensive universities, four-year institutions, and community colleges. Several of our most recent graduates work in educational administration.
Located in a majority Hispanic, Research 1 university on the U.S.-Mexico border, our program regularly engages with the political, cultural, linguistic, and economic richness and complexity of the borderlands.
Highlights about the PhD Student Experience
- Graduate instructorships are available for full-time students, and we provide excellent funding options for travel and research
- Students have the opportunity to teach a variety of courses in multimedia classrooms. Advanced doctoral students teach upper division courses as well.
- As part of our mentoring program, we offer students the opportunity to work as assistant directors and research associates.
- Our students present and publish in national and international conferences and journals.
- We have an active student organization, Frontera Retorica, that puts on a symposium with a nationally recognized keynote speaker and monthly professional development workshops.
Thank you for taking the time to visit our website and for your interest in studying Rhetoric and Composition at UTEP. If you have any questions or would like more detailed information about our program, please don’t hesitate to contact the Dr. Levi Martin, at firstname.lastname@example.org.