The ADP Math and Science Teachers Academy
The ADP Math and Science Teachers (MaST) Academy, funded by Automatic Data Processing, Inc. (ADP), was established in January 2007, to enhance the scope and quality of secondary mathematics and science teachers that graduate from UTEP to serve students in schools across the El Paso region. Over MaST Academy’s history, it has evolved from a grassroots effort to what is now a model that is validated by the administrations of El Paso area schools and districts. While the first proposed program included scholarship support and monthly workshops, MaST thrives by recognizing and acting upon growth and improvement opportunities.
ADP MaST Academy supports future teachers with:
- Scholarship of up to $10,000 per year to selected undergraduate math and science majors recognized as ADP MaST Scholars
- Weekly field experience with an ADP MaST Mentor Teacher in a high school math or science classroom;
- Monthly professional development seminars on subjects such as lesson plan design, teaching math and science to English Language Learners and modifications for special populations, classroom management, technology in the classroom, addressing issues of adolescent students, and social and gender equity.
- Opportunity to participate in a summer outreach program for ninth grade students at an area high school;
- A roundtable program to prepare graduating ADP MaST student teachers for fundamental components of a teaching career including documentation, organization, classroom management skills, discipline and the job application process;
- Travel to a state or national conference on teaching mathematics and/or science;
- The opportunity to present at local education conferences on MaST “products” such as lesson plans and curriculum, sharing innovative resources with other teachers;
- Videography of Student Teachers with peer review and analysis
- Interactive reflective journals which deepen Scholars’ understanding of their teaching experiences and encourages critical thinking about their practice
- Stipends and professional development for high school mentor teachers who host MaST Scholars in their classrooms.