College of Science Honors Program
COLLEGE OF SCIENCE HONORS PROGRAM
For students entering as of Fall Semester 2022
Requirements for Admission:
- Minimum Freshman Standing, with 4 full (Fall & Spring) semesters remaining before graduation
- Overall UTEP GPA of at least 3.50
- Application available at the University Honors Program website: https://www.utep.edu/honors/
Requirements for Graduating with College of Science Honors:
1. In addition to the above, Honors students must complete at least 4 High Impact experiences described below, at least 1 experience/year.
- Students must submit a High Impact Notice Form to the University Honors Program (UHP) Office for approval before beginning an experience and provide a completed and signed High Impact Completion Form to the UHP Office as documentation at the close of each experience chosen. These forms are available at the UHP website under Current Students > Useful Forms, https://www.utep.edu/honors/.
- Graduating seniors will be required to submit final Completion documentation earlier in the final semester, along with Honors Senior Graduation Clearance forms to the UHP Office. Deadlines vary by semester.
- Any such experience must occur during membership in the Honors Program to count to the Honors degree.
- An exception for Study Abroad completed prior to entering the Honors Program is allowed if completed as a UTEP student with the minimum GPA requirement.
3. Honors students are expected to manage themselves professionally. This includes being alert to email communications, noting important information and dates, responding as needed, and adhering to required forms and deadlines. Failure to do this may result in the Honors degree NOT being awarded.
High Impact Experiences for Honors Credit (no single experience can count toward two different activities):
- Research & Scholarly Activity: Documented involvement in a research lab as a volunteer or paid assistant or engagement in a scholarly activity outside the scope of degree requirements with mentoring by a faculty member. (Note: FYRIS labs do not count for Honors Research & Scholarly Activity)
- Capstone Experience: A capstone experience involves exploring or researching a science or math topic of interest under the guidance of a faculty mentor where the final product is a research paper presentation or research poster presentation; if required to complete the student’s degree, the capstone will not count as Honors credit.
- Community Engagement: At least 40 hours devoted to community service at a single community location or non-profit organization, or in a single community initiative or mission. Collections of brief service episodes at multiple locations will not qualify as Honors engagement. Students are recommended to access their community engagement via the UTEP CUE.
- Internships: Completing at least one internship in your academic or pre-professional field; if required to complete the student’s degree, the internship will not count as Honors credit. Students are requested to register their internship with the UTEP Job Mine.
- Study Abroad/Study Away: Participation in a study abroad experience or faculty-led international study activity while a UTEP student with at least a 3.5 GPA.
- Student Leadership: This is defined as holding a leadership position in a student organization, involvement in student government, student employment positions that include leadership responsibilities, or organizing a service project.
- Shadowing a Medical Professional or other STEM Professional: At least 40 hours shadowing a medical professional or other STEM professional related to the student’s professional path.
- Student Employment: Students employed by UTEP as tutors, peer leaders, office staff, event planners, graphic designers, technology staff, or library personnel.
For information and questions, please contact:
University Honors Program Office
For specific questions regarding College of Science High Impact activities, please contact:
Dr. Kristine Garza
University Honors Faculty Council Representative