TRANSFER IN/OUT AND RESUMING REQUIREMENTS
Before UTEP may generate an I-20, students must request a transfer of the SEVIS record from their current school.
- Request a transfer of the SEVIS record from your current school
- Provide the current school with a copy of the UTEP acceptance when requesting a SEVIS transfer
- Notify UTEP of your SEVIS record release date
- Your SEVIS record must be transferred within the first 15 days before the start of the semester.
After securing admssion and transferring the file via SEVIS, access the SUNAPSIS UTEP portal to submit all documents using SUNAPSIS. Do not submit a partial record, as the OIP cannot process your request until all documents have been submitted. You will receive confirmation or a rejection notice from the OIP.
- UTEP Transfer-in Form
- Copy of your current School I-20 or DS-2019
- UTEP Admission Letter (undergraduate, graduate and/or exchange student)
- Confirmation of Financial Resources (OIP CFR form, additional bank statements or financial documents)
- PASE form (for Mexican students only)
- If you are NOT in status, your SEVIS record cannot be released to UTEP.
- If your SEVIS record has been terminated, UTEP will not accept a terminated record. UTEP will only issue a new initial I-20 or DS-2019. You will be expected to pay the SEVIS fee again.
You may choose to transfer out of UTEP to attend another SEVP approved school. There are time limits for transfers. The latest that OIP can transfer a SEVIS record to your new school is:
- 30 days after the start of UTEP’s semester, or
- 15 days after the start of your new school’s semester/session
If approved by the other school, using the same SEVIS number, your new school will issue a new I-20. You do not need to pay the SEVIS fee (I-901 fee) if your are in status (program not terminated, invalid status, or requires reinstatement).
If you have not maintained status, OIP requires confirmation that the new school will accept a SEVIS transfer. Contact your new school for instructions on how to obtain a new I-20 or DS-2019.
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS and STEPS
- Fill-out the UTEP Transfer-out Form
- Submit a copy of the Admission Letter to the other school
All requests and forms are submitted using SUNAPSIS. OIP will release your SEVIS record to your new school. This date is usually a date after the end of your last semester at UTEP. If you need an earlier transfer date, please indicate this.
- Your SEVIS record will be automatically released to your new school according to the date listed in the transfer-out form.
- If you change your transfer release date or decide not to attend the new school, notify OIP immediately before the transfer-out date.
- UTEP will not have access to your SEVIS record after the release date.
- Once your SEVIS record has been transferred, all employment permissions will cease (e.g. on campus employment, CPT (Curricular Practical Training), OPT (Optional Practical Training, ad/or economic hardship permits)
We recommend that you stop working the day before the date scheduled to transfer the record.
RESUMING F-1 STATUS
There are times when students must interrupt their studies. In those instances, follow the steps below to obtain an I-20. This option is not available to students with a J-1/DS-2019 students:
- Provide confirmation of your enrollment.
- Obtain official confirmation from your academic advisor of your anticipated graduation date and provide it to the OIP.
- Using SUNAPSIS, submit an I-20 Request Form, the letter from the academic advisor, CFR and PASE form if eligible.