The Authorization for Personal Services (APS) form is used as a basis for paying individuals providing consulting or specialized services to the University.
- APS Form is required for payments of over $250.00
- APS Form must be completed prior to routing for approval
- Approvals should be obtained from the Director or Dean, and Vice President as well as Contracts & Grants and the Office of Research and Sponsored Projects (ORSP) if applicable (Projects)
- Send completed original APS Forms to the Payroll office for approval
- Payroll will return a copy of the APS form and a Memorandum with instructions for processing payment
- APS form can be found on UTEP Forms Mine, or in the link below.
Purpose of the APS Form
The APS Form is used to pay independent contractors. Information on the APS form includes the following:
- Name, address, or Employee ID, and citizenship status
- Type and description of services to be provided
- Employee status
- Nepotism statement
- Period of service
- Amount of proposed payment and account information
APS forms should not be used for Active Employees.
In lieu of an APS form an IAP (AAR Form or Additional Pay) must be processed to pay active employees, please contact Human Resources Transaction Center for further information.
Independent Contractor Status
If not currently employed, individual may qualify to be considered an independent contractor:
- To determine if the independent contractor has a vendor ID, search in PeopleSoft Accounts Payable.
- PS Navigation- VENDOR > VENDOR INFORMATION > REVIEW VENDORS
- If the independent contractor does not have a vendor ID established with the University, a Supplier Information Form (SIF) must be completed and sent to the Purchasing Office.
- Payments to independent contractors will be processed through a Non P.O. Voucher and submitted to the Accounts Payable department.
- Make sure Vendor ID is included.
- Verify that the cost center or project being used to fund the APS form being generated have sufficient funds available.
- Must verify that the account number being used for the transaction is correct and that the account that is being used is the proper fund for payment of consultant fees (A4000).
- Ensure that the Questionnaire on the APS form is complete.
- Document must be routed so that all pertinent authorizing signatures are included.
- Ensure that if the individual is classified as an employee, you will have to process an IAP (AAR Form or Additional Pay)