MSW Student Partners with CISD on Mental Health Grant
Laura Sandoval, a student in the UTEP Social Work's MSW Program, and who is scheduled to graduate in May 2020, completed her internship at Canutillo Independent School District. She was supervised by Nancy Torres, MS - Coordinated School Health Facilitator, Student Support Services. In her practicum, Ms. Sandoval was able to assist Ms. Torres in writing a grant, partnering them with Superior HeathPlan. They were awarded with the $2,000 2020 Q1 Grantee award, where the main focus is to promote health and, primarily, the mental health well-bein, in the lives of students in Canutillo Independent School District.
It will provide:
- Development of coping skills for students and parents
- Social interaction with other key personnel from the district
- Writing and journaling, to maintain coping strategies
- Lessons like scrapbooking, gardening, drawing, and painting
- Building and developing the garden area
- Developing cooking classes to show sensible and organic ways of cooking that will lead to a healthier and more sustainable way of living
Research has shown that students who receive social-emotional and mental health support, and coping strategies achieve better academically. Not only will the children perform better academically,but suicide rates will also lessen, due to having the tools needed in order to continue in having a healthy lifestyle.
Superior HealthPlan will be a partner and will provide informational education to members and potential members on benefits.
Congratulations, Canutillo Independent School District, Nancy Torres, and UTEP Social Work student, Laura Sandoval!