All Students Must Be Advised Every Semester!
Academic Advising is a process by which advisors verify the feasibility of your academic plan for the upcoming semester and approve your course selection. They do not select courses for you; instead they assist you in navigating the pathway laid out by your degree plan.
Before visiting your advisor for academic advising you should use your degree plan along with the online schedule booklet in order to select your courses.
The Student Support Center advises students according to the below criteria:
The CHS Student Support Center collaborates with the University’s Academic Advising Center (AAC) and Freshman students (between 0 – 29 credit hours) are advised by the advisors in the AAC if you DO NOT meet one of the below criteria (except Pre-Speech Language Pathology). To contact the AAC, please visit http://academics.utep.edu/Default.aspx?tabid=17416 or call them at (915) 747-5290.
If you are over 29 credit hours, and still do not meet one of the below criteria, you will be seen by advisors within the Student Support Center.
- Clinical Laboratory Students, until they enter their major course sequence.
- Health Promotion students, until they have taken any HSCI course
- Kinesiology Students, until they take KIN 1303
- Pre-Speech-Language Pathology.
- Social Work Students, until they enter their major course sequence.
Students that meet the following criteria must be advised by their major advisors:
- Clinical Laboratory Science Students who have entered their major course sequence.
- Kinesiology students who have taken KIN 1303 will be advised during Advisormania.
- Health Promotion Students who are in progress or have completed an HSCI course.
- Social Work Students who have entered their major course sequence.
Forms of Advising
Students who are advised by the Student Support Center Academic Advisors are advised by attending Group Advising Sessions or requesting Email Advising if certain criteria is met. Each semester, students are emailed the group advising dates and have the opportunity to register for the day/time which best fits their schedule. Students are strongly encouraged to check their @miners.utep.edu email in order to keep current on information provided by the Student Support Center.