PROGRAM AND CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
Students in the Teacher Education Program must fulfill the following requirements:
- Complete degree plan coursework with a minimum 2.0 overall GPA, 2.5 GPA in the teaching field specialization, and 2.75 GPA in professional education courses.
- Pass the Content and Pedagogy and Professional Responsibility (PPR) Qualifying exams.
- Pass the Texas Examinations of Educator Standards (TExES).
- Complete field experience requirements prior to attempting student teaching.
- Pass fingerprint/background check requirements.
- Complete student teaching requirements.
- Students must remain in good standing to progress toward the completion of a degree program (See the appropriate catalog section underAcademic Regulations).
- Upon conferral of BIS degree, submit the initial certification application and pay fee to the Texas Education Agency (TEA).
Notification of potential ineligibility for certification
Any individual who has been convicted of an offense may be ineligible for issuance of a certificate upon completion of the Educator Preparation Program. For more information, please refer to the State Board of Educator Certification (SBEC) rules prescribed in §249.16. Individuals have the right to request a criminal history evaluation letter as provided in Chapter 227, Subchapter B (relating to Preliminary Evaluation of Certification Eligibility).