Creating a Discussion Board Forum
You can incorporate the discussion board into course areas, allowing students to access the tool alongside content.
In a content area, add a forum link following lecture notes to gather questions on the material presented or after an assignment to gather students’ perceptions of how they did. You can add adaptive release rules or date availability restrictions to limit students’ access. This allows them to access content in a specified order, such as reading a PDF before adding posts to the discussion board.
1. Access the content area or folder where you want to link to the discussion board or forum. Select the Tools menu followed by Discussion Board.
3. From here, you have three options:
- On the Create Link: Discussion Board page, select the Link to Discussion Board Page option to link to the discussion board itself.
- Use Select a Discussion Board Forum and select a forum from the list.
- Select Create New Forum to add a link to a forum you create at this time. You select all forum settings at the time of creation. The newly created forum appears in the list of forums to choose from when adding the link in your course.
4. Select Next.
5. On the next Create Link: Discussion Board page, type a Link Name. The Link Name can’t exceed 50 characters.
6. Optionally, type instructions or a description in the Text box.
7. For the Available option, select Yes.
8. To enable tracking, select Yes. The system will record the number of times the link is viewed, when it’s viewed, and by whom.
9. Select the Display After and Display Until checkboxes to enable the date and time selections. Display restrictions affect the visibility of the discussion board or forum.
10. Select Submit. The discussion link appears in the course area.
Editing a Discussion Thread
1. On the Discussion Board page, open a forum’s menu and select Edit.
2. On the Edit Forum page, change the forum’s name, description, availability, or settings.
3. Select Submit.
Deleting a Discussion Thread
To delete individual posts, point to the post on the thread’s page and select Delete when the options appear. This action is irreversible. Any replies to the post you delete are also permanently deleted.