1. The first step is to create a link to course messages in the left-hand navigation panel that is also available to students. Hover over the button that looks like a + with a circle around it and choose “Tool Link” from the drop-down menu that appears.
2. In the window that appears, you want to give the tool link a title. Whatever title you give this tool, make sure that you refer to this title in your communications with students. Next you will choose “Course Messages” as the Type of tool. Make this available to students and click submit.
3. Now you have a working Course Messages tool inside your course. When you navigate to this tool, you will be taken to a screen that shows the default mail folders. You can create a new message from here, or you can create and manage new folders.
4. The Inbox and Sent folders operate much like a typical email system. You can view and manage messages as well create new messages from within the Inbox folder.
5. When creating a Course Message, you click on the “To” box (or any of the subsequent boxes) to find a user within the course to send a message to. Then, just like a regular email, you would include the subject and body of the email. You can attach any necessary files and then click submit.