Performing a Course Copy
This feature allows instructors to quickly choose and duplicate one or all course material (announcements, syllabus, PowerPoints, assignments, Grade Center columns, discussion board forums, etc) into an upcoming semester course. For example, copying all of Fall 2016 course materials into a new Spring 2017 course shell.
Select the Course to be Copied
- Locate and open the course with the course material you want to copy to a new shell, not the empty course
Packages and Utilities
- Under the Control Panel, click on the Packages and Utilities link
- In the Package and Utilities menu, click on Course Copy option
- Next to Select Copy Type, click on the up/down arrows
- Click the “Copy Course Materials into an Existing Course” option
Select Course shell to copy TO
- Click the Browse button and a screen will appear to Search for Courses
- Locate the empty Course shell you’d like the material copied to and click the radial button next to it
- Click the Submit button and this will close the webpage
There are 2 ways to select the options for what items will be copied into the new course:
- Click the Select All button to select all the usual features most professors need moved into the new course OR
- Manually select and click the boxes next to the items wanted to be copied into the new courseNote: If you select the content and assignments, make sure to also select Grade Center Columns and Settings. This will allow all your linked assignments to be successfully copied and properly linked inside Grade Center in other course. Also, if you do not select both Assignments and Grade Center, no assignment links will be created inside the new course.
Discussion Board Options
When selecting Discussion Boards to copy, there are 2 options:
- Include starter posts will show what students in other courses have posted in the forums without including the students’ names OR
- Include only the forums will copy forums with no posts
Section 3 and 4 can be skipped because:
- Section 3: File Attachments can be used to calculate the actual size of the file, but this is not necessary
- Section 4: Enrollments, Never Check this Box because this will cause all the current course’s enrollments (all enrolled users) to be added to the new course
- Section 5: Click the Submit button
- A Success Message or an error message will appear
- Once the course copy has been finished, you will be sent an standard email with details (finished or Fatal Error occurred) to your UTEP email account
If there is a Fatal Error message, it means the content did not copy over correctly into the empty course. For assistance, please contact the Help Desk by email at email@example.com or by phone at (915) 747-4357 during regular University hours.
Review New Course
Once complete, enter the course to review the material. It is possible that the course menu buttons could be duplicated and the extra course menu buttons might need to be removed. To do this please review the section on Editing the Course Menu.