Opera Workshop (Opera UTEP)
UTEP Department of Music Vocal Area offers Opera Workshop (or "Opera UTEP") for undergraduate or graduate ensemble credit. Two semesters are required for performance majors though the course is open to qualified singers, and many choose to take the course multiple times.
Opera Workshop teaches students the fundamentals of operatic performance. Skills such as body awareness, movement, dance, role preparation, character development, acting, stage combat and audition techniques are among the topics to be explored and practiced in the class.
Repertoire for public performances will be selected to meet the voice types and skill levels of the enrolled students and may include scenes from opera and/or musical theater, one-act operas, and/or major works from the operatic repertoire.
The ensemble meets 6 hours a week in the fall and spring semesters. There are no prerequisites for the course but prior performance experience and the ability to independently learn assigned music is helpful. Auditions will be scheduled as needed.
Opera UTEP singers have performed as chorus members and in small roles with El Paso Opera. Additionally, they have performed as soloists with El Paso Symphony Youth Orchestras, on faculty concerts, and various outreach events throughout El Paso.
The ensemble is directed by Professor of Practice Cherry Duke with pianist Dr. Esequiel Meza.
Opera UTEP has residencies, master classes and talks with guest artists several times a semester. Upcoming and recent guest artists include:
- Jorge Martín, composer, pianist and vocal coach
- Lisa Vroman, soprano
- William Sharp, baritone
- Levi Hernandez, baritone
- Danielle Talamantes, soprano
- Rebecca Rivas, dialect coach
- Adrienne Danrich, soprano, composer, actor, writer
- Maestro Brian DeMaris, conductor and vocal coach
- Dr. Risa Renae Harman, soprano and career coach
- Randall Bills, tenor
- Maestro Steven M. Crawford, vocal coach and conductor
- Jay Stratton, acting coach
- Randi Rudolph, vocal coach
- Justin Lucero, acting coach
- Kevin Deas, baritone
- Jessica Medoff Bunchman, mezzo-soprano
- Ricardo Rivera, baritone
A full listing of current events may be found on our Facebook page.
- Scenes from La Bohème by Giacomo Puccini (directed by Cherry Duke)
- Sister Angelica by Giacomo Puccini (directed by Jay Stratton)
Performed with a chamber orchestra conducted by Dr. James Welsch
SHOW TIMES (all performances in the Fox Fine Arts Recital Hall):
- Friday, April 26, 2019, 7:30pm
- Sunday, April 28, 2019, 2:30pm
Photos and videos from recent productions are available on our Facebook page.
- THE TELEPHONE (Fall 2018)
- A HAND OF BRIDGE (Fall 2018)
- Scenes from LA BOHEME, MADAMA BUTTERFLY and SUOR ANGELICA (Fall 2018)
- I'M A STRANGER HERE MYSELF: Scenes and Songs by Kurt Weill and Friends (Spring 2018)
- ON BROADWAY! (Fall 2017)
- FLEDERMAUS & FRIENDS (Spring 2017)
- CHEERS! A Toast to Opera & Musical Theater (Fall 2016)
- SPEED DATING TONIGHT! (Spring 2016)
- PASION! Opera scenes with Spanish passion (Fall 2015)
- THE MAGIC FLUTE (Spring 2015)
- SWEENEY TODD (Fall 2014)