Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31)
How to get your books for Summer/Fall 2020 while the UTEP Bookstore is not physically open:
- Once the MSSC has received your CH. 31 authorization from your Veteran Readiness & Employment (VR&E) Counselor, we confirm if all is correct in order to proceed with your certification.
- You will receive an email from the VA Once system once we have certified your enrollment to the VA.
- You will not be dropped for non-payment. Student Business Services (SBS) will post your VR&E tuition & fees as a third party payment after census day. Need status? Contact SBS at email@example.com.
- The day after we certify, you can then expect to order your books online through the UTEP Bookstore: https://www.bkstr.com/texaselpasostore/home
- Look up your booklist, order on the website, providing all the current shipping information.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about the process. Refer to the “How To” step-by-step document on how to order online.
- You will need to engage with the Bookstore in regards to your supplies as well.
Academic Worksheet guidance on how to complete:
- Step 1: Filled out by student and academic advisor
- Steps 2-5: Filled out by the academic advisor
- Step 6: Information can be found on Student Business Services (SBS) website: https://www.utep.edu/vpba/student-business-services/
- Step 7: Filled out by student and academic advisor
- Step 8: Send to email@example.com and we will sign #8. Please do not send to the MSSC until #1-7 is completed.
After the MSSC signs #8, we will return to the student and the student must return to their VR&E Counselor.
The MSSC staff is not your academic advisor, we cannot advise you on which courses to take, or update your degree plan. Our role is to certify your enrollment to the VA.
What happens next?
- Voc Rehab will send the MSSC the students approval as an authorization through the VR&E Tungsten system.
- The MSSC will submit the students certification to the VA for their monthly stipend.
- The students tuition & fees will be paid as a third party payment from VR&E and they may order their books online through the UTEP Bookstore.
- Apply for Vetern Readiness and Employment program at www.ebenefits.va.gov or in person at 7500 Viscount C-50 El Paso, TX 79925, must have a 10% or more Service Connected disability rating to apply.
- Applications take about 4 weeks to process. The Department of Veterans Affairs VR&E will contact you in for initial assessment appointment once your application has been processed. You will then attend a group orientation followed immediately by an initial assessment appointment to determine if you are entitled to Chapter 31.
- You will then be directed to conduct vocational exploration and research training facilities to assist in development of a Rehabilitation Plan. You will be scheduled for a follow up appointment (Next Steps) in approximately 30 days. Intensity of a vocational exploration training facility research/follow up appointment date are more individualized and may vary, depending on each individual's needs and vocational direction.
- Meet the Veteran Readiness and Employment Counselor to develop individualized written rehabilitation plan. Once plan set up, copy of Authorization provided and faxed and MSSC.
- New Students once you are registered visit the MSSC to request certification. Authorization required to request certification. Returning students must have current Authorization on file.
Chapter 31 students are not eligible to receive financial assistance that is designated for tuition and fees with Chapter 31 benefits. Any aid or assistance that is designated for the sole purpose of reducing a student's tuition and fee cost will be deducted from the net in-state charges we report to the VA.. If a student is being charged $1500 tuition and fees, but is offered and accepts $500 in tuition specific aid, the amount we will report to the VA will be $1000.
Returning students: It is required that you have a current Authorization on file with the MSSC.
Authorization must not be expired and must match major, minor, and concentration in Goldmine.