International Insurance and Service Coverage
With few exceptions described below the following services and insurances are in place for international travelers regardless of whether or not they are traveling to a destination with a Travel Warning.
Traveler – UTEP Employee traveling on UTEP business:
Non-insurance coverage – International SOS is a service purchased by U. T. System on behalf of travelers while traveling on official University business. For more information, visit the UTEP Travel website at: www.utep.edu/travel.
- Foreign Workers’ Compensation Policy (FWCI) – provides coverage for compensable injuries or illnesses sustained while traveling. There are only four destinations that are excluded from coverage: Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, and North Korea. Travel to North Korea is strictly prohibited. For approved travel to Iraq, Iran or Afghanistan, the University must purchase a separate FWCI policy for each individual trip. Contact the VPBA Office at 915-747-5113 for more information or assistance regarding the FWCI policy.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) – for employees who have BCBS coverage through their employment at UTEP, this policy may be used for non-Workers’ Compensation injuries or illnesses while traveling abroad. BCBS provides worldwide coverage. It is imperative for each individual traveler to understand their coverage and recommended that each traveler contact BCBS prior to traveling to ensure they fully understand the process and associated costs should they need to use their personal medical insurance.
- Other personal health insurance plans – This would be relevant for individuals who opt out of BCBS because they have other medical coverage. It is imperative for each individual traveler to understand their coverage and recommended that each traveler contact their carrier prior to traveling to ensure they fully understand the process and costs should they need to use their personal medical insurance.
- U. T. System Foreign Insurance Package includes general liability and employer’s liability coverage as well as FWCI should a covered event occur where the claim is a liability claim rather than a medical claim. Contact the VPBA Office at 915-747-5113 for more information regarding foreign liability insurance coverage while traveling abroad on official University business.
Traveler – UTEP student traveling on University-sanctioned travel:
UTEP students traveling internationally on University-sanctioned travel are provided with $200,000 worth of injury and illness medical insurance through the ACE/HealthSmart Medical Injury and Illness Policy (HealthSmart).
International SOS (ISOS)
- Enrollment in ISOS is mandatory for all University-sanctioned international travel.
- Enrollment triggers automatic enrollment in HealthSmart.
- Students must contact ISOS in the case of an emergency and allow ISOS to manage their health care.*
- Students who manage their own health care will have to pay for all their personal medical expenses and then submit a claim to HealthSmart for reimbursement.
- *Travel to Cuba is handled in accordance with U. S. Department of Treasury Requirements.
- *International students traveling to their home country are excluded from coverage under HealthSmart and should contact the UTEP Study Abroad Office (utep.abroadoffice.net) for information and assistance regarding alternate study abroad health plans.
- For information regarding the HealthSmart policy contact the VPBA Office at 915-747-5113.
- All other services provided by ISOS are also included in the coverage. For more information on all other services, visit the UTEP Travel website at: www.utep.edu/travel.