GO:    [ UTEP Home Page ]    [ Catalog Index ]    [ Financial Info Contents ]    [ Graduate Degrees ]    [ University Map ]


  • Financial Assistance
  • Tuition and Fees
  • Housing Expenses
  • Residency

  • Residency Determination Information

    1.- Introduction
    2.- Minors and Dependents
    3.- Residence of Independent
         Individuals 18 Years of
         Age or Older

    4.- Reclassification
    5.- International Students
    6.- Exceptions
    7.- Economic Development
         and Diversification Employees

    8.- Military Personnel, Veterans, and Commissioned
         Officers of the Public Health Service

    9.- Teachers, Proffesors, and their Dependents
    10.- Teaching or Research Assistants
    11.- Scholarship Stipend Recipients
    12.- Academic Common Market
    13.- Mexican Citizens
    14.- New Mexico Residents
    15.- Student Responsibilities
    16.- Penalties

    2.- Minors and Dependents

    Residency of a Minor or Dependent is based on one of the following circumstances:

    1. The residence of the parent who has custody at the time of enrollment (upon divorce of parents);
    2. The residence of the parent who has claimed the dependent for federal income tax purposes both at the time of enrollment and for the tax year preceding enrollment; or
    3. The residence of the parent with whom the dependent has resided for the 12 months prior to enrollment.

    Custody by Court Order

    If the custody of the minor has been granted by court order (e.g., divorce decree, child custody action, guardianship, or adoption proceedings) to some person other than the parent, the residence of that person shall control; provided, however, that such grant of custody was not ordered during or within a year prior to the minor's enrollment in a public institution of higher education and was granted under circumstances indicating that such guardianship was not for the purpose of obtaining status as a resident student.

    If the minor is not residing with either parent and there is no court-appointed guardian, the residence of the parent with whom the minor last resided shall be presumed to control. If, however, the minor resided with and has been dependent upon a grandparent for more than a year prior to enrollment in an institution of higher education, the residence of that natural guardian will be regarded as the minor's residence. The residence of a person other than a parent or a natural or legal guardian who may furnish funds for payment of tuition, fees, or living expenses will in no way affect the residence classification of a minor.


      [top of page]

    The University of Texas at El Paso
    Developed by the UTEP Web Development Team
    Revised: February 19, 2001