GO:    [ UTEP Home Page ]    [ Catalog Index ]    [ Financial Info Contents ]    [ Graduate Degrees ]    [ University Map ]


  • Financial Assistance
  • Tuition and Fees
  • Housing Expenses
  • Residency

  • Residency Determination Information

    1.- Introduction
    2.- Minors and Dependents
    3.- Residence of Independent
         Individuals 18 Years of
         Age or Older

    4.- Reclassification
    5.- International Students
    6.- Exceptions
    7.- Economic Development
         and Diversification Employees

    8.- Military Personnel, Veterans, and Commissioned
         Officers of the Public Health Service

    9.- Teachers, Proffesors, and their Dependents
    10.- Teaching or Research Assistants
    11.- Scholarship Stipend Recipients
    12.- Academic Common Market
    13.- Mexican Citizens
    14.- New Mexico Residents
    15.- Student Responsibilities
    16.- Penalties

    3.- Residence of Independent Individuals 18 Years of Age or Older

    Establishment of Residence

    Independent individuals 18 years of age or over who move into the state and who are gainfully employed within the state for a period of 12 months prior to enrolling in a public institution of higher education are entitled to classification as residents. An individual who is self-employed or employed as a homemaker within the home may be considered gainfully employed for tuition purposes. If such 12 months residence, however, can be shown not to have been for the purpose of establishing legal residence in the state but to have been for some other purpose, the individuals are not entitled to be classified as residents. Students enrolling in an institution of higher education prior to having resided in the state for 12 months immediately preceding time of enrollment will be classified as non-residents for tuition purposes.


      [top of page]

    The University of Texas at El Paso
    Developed by the UTEP Web Development Team
    Revised: February 19, 2001