Application Period: February 1 - March 15 Annually
Summer Program: June thru Early August
The SURPASS Program supports highly motivated faculty-student teams for 10 weeks of multidisciplinary, hands-on research. Each team prepares a project proposal packet that includes a project description and mentoring plan. SURPASS students will also receive professional development through workshops and social/cultural activities. The aim of the program is to encourage students to gain valuable professional skills through immersion in research projects and cultural exchange, enabling them to acquire a deeper understanding of our global connectedness.
All UTEP undergraduate students, regardless of citizenship status are eligible to apply.
To qualify, students must
- Be in good standing (Minimum 2.75 Cumulative GPA)
- Have been enrolled for 12 semester credit hours for preceding Spring semester
- Graduate AFTER the program finishes (i.e. the following fall or spring)
- Have identified a faculty research mentor to prepare a project proposal as a team (see guidelines link below)
- Enroll in your mentor's RSRC 4033 summer course
- Must not have another UTEP Job for the duration of the program
NOTE: Faculty mentors must have a full-time teaching and/or research appointment.
Award Benefits and Expectations
All student awardees will have to commit to certain requirements including, but not limited to: