Voice at UTEP
- Bachelor of Music in Performance
- Bachelor of Music in Music Education
- Bachelor of Music in Commercial Music
- Master of Music in Performance
- Master of Music in Education
- Master of Music in Choral Conducting (Also available as an online program)
If you prefer to audition by video Click Here
UTEP boasts a world-class voice faculty and offers students a variety of courses that promote a strong technical and pedagogical foundation.
UTEP’s choirs include University Chorus, Concert Chorale and Chamber Singers. In 2015, 2017 and 2019, the UTEP Chamber Singers traveled to Leeds, England, where they were in residence in Leeds Cathedral for a week. In 2014, UTEP choir students and faculty were part of the Opera Bhutan project which joined international soloists in the Kingdom of Bhutan to perform Handel’s ACIS AND GALATEA, marking the first time a Western opera was performed in that country. The UTEP Choirs also enjoy regular collaboration with the El Paso Symphony Orchestra and other regional orchestras. Non-majors are welcome to participate in the University Chorus, while the Chorale and Chamber Singers are selected by audition.
Students in the Opera Workshop class produce shows in the fall and spring. Scenes from lyric theater (including opera, operetta, zarzuela and musical theater) as well as one-act and full-length operas are produced, according to the needs and abilities of the students enrolled in the class. Opera UTEP singers have performed as chorus members and in small roles with El Paso Opera. Additionally, they have performed as soloists with El Paso Symphony Youth Orchestras, on faculty concerts, and various outreach events throughout El Paso.
Commercial Music is a vibrant and varied area of study with many career opportunities. The commercial vocalist at UTEP is taught a strong foundation in classical voice in addition to learning to sing a variety of commercial styles. As their study progresses, their repertoire is further geared toward the individual's commercial strengths. Additionally, all commercial music majors take courses in music technology, music business, commercial arranging, improvisation, and
- Elisa Fraser Wilson, D.M.A., Voice Area Coordinator and Director of Choral Activities
- Cherry Duke, A.D., Director of Opera UTEP, Applied Voice
- Brian Downen, M.M., Applied Voice, DIction, University Chorus
- Diana Esparza, M.M., Applied Voice, Class Voice, Diction
- Phillip Hill, D.M.A., Applied Voice, Vocal Pedagogy, Song Literature
- Alexander Kariotis, M.M., Applied Voice, Commercial Music
- Elvin Porflit, M.M., University Chorus
Should you have questions about the voice area, please feel free to contact any faculty member, or Dr. Elisa Fraser Wilson, Voice Area Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join other talented singers in a fun-filled week of activities geared toward learning the Texas All-State literature. Held every July. Click here for more information, and/or contact Dr. Elisa Fraser Wilson.