Voice at UTEP
- Bachelor of Music in Performance
- Bachelor of Music in Music Education
- Bachelor of Music in Commercial Music
- Master of Music in Performance
- Master of Music in Education
UTEP boasts a world-class voice faculty and offers students a variety of courses that promote a strong technical and pedagogical foundation.
UTEP’s choirs include Men and Women’s Glee Clubs, Concert Chorale and Chamber Singers. In 2015, the UTEP Chamber Singers traveled to Leeds, England where they were in residence in the cathedral for a week. In 2014, UTEP students and faculty were part of the Opera Bhutan project which joined international soloists in the Kingdom of Bhutan to perform Handel’s Acis and Galatea, marking the first time a Western opera had been performed in that country.
Students in the Opera Workshop class produce shows in the fall and spring. The El Paso Opera, Gilbert and Sullivan Company of El Paso and UTEP Dinner Theater offer other performance possibilities.
The commercial vocalist at UTEP is taught a strong foundation in classical voice in addition to learning to sing a variety of commercial styles. As their study progresses, their repertoire is further geared toward the individual's commercial strengths. Additionally, all commercial music majors take courses in music technology, music business, commercial arranging, improvisation, and courses in
- Elisa Fraser Wilson, D.M.A., Area Coordinator and Director of Choral Activities
- Cherry Duke, A.D., Director of Opera UTEP, Applied Voice
- Brian Downen, M.M., Applied Voice, Director of Men's Glee Club, DIction
- Diana Esparza, M.M., Applied Voice, Class Voice, Diction
- Phillip Hill, D.M.A., Applied Voice, Vocal Pedagogy, Song Literature
- Alexander Kariotis, M.M., Applied Voice, Commercial Music
Should you have questions about the voice area, please feel free to contact any faculty member, or Dr. Elisa Fraser Wilson, Voice Area Coordinator: email@example.com.
Join other talented singers in a fun-filled week of activities geared toward learning the Texas All-State literature. Held every July. Click here for more information, and/or contact Dr. Elisa Fraser Wilson.