Admission to the PhD program will require ALL of the following requirements by the Admission Committee:
- Apply online through the Graduate School: http://www.utep.edu/graduate/apply-now/apply-now.html
- Official Transcripts & Proof of Degree (Diplomas): Bachelor’s or master’s degree in any field of mathematics, science or engineering from an accredited institution in the United States, or proof of equivalent education in a foreign institution. If documents are in a language other than English or Spanish, they must be accompanied by a certified English translation.
- GRE Scores (visit http://www.ets.org for more information; UTEP institution code 6829): GRE scores are only valid for 5 years from the date taken.
- TOEFL score of 550 (paper based) / 217 (computer based) / 79 (internet based, IBT) or higher for international applicants whose first language is not English and who have not completed a degree at a university in the U.S. or another English- speaking country. TOEFL scores are only valid for 2 years from the date taken. Note: If you graduated from UTEP with a MS, you do not need to take a TOEFL exam.
- A statement of academic and professional interests and goals from the applicant.
- Three letters of recommendation from people knowledgeable in the field.
In order to be admitted to the MS program, the candidates are expected to have sufficient skills in mathematics, natural sciences, computers, and programming. These skills are prerequisites for the core and prescribed courses of the program.
In both the MS and PhD programs, working knowledge of a high-level programming language, matrix/linear algebra, and advanced calculus are of essence. Therefore, any student who lacks these prerequisites will be accepted on a conditional basis and required to complete either Cs 1401 or CS 1420 (basic programming courses), MATH 3323, and MATH 2313 for no credit during the first semester of enrollment.
International Students: Take a look at the webpage for international applicants for additional information and requirements.
- March 1 for International Students
- July 1 for National Students
- September 1 for International Students
- December 1 for National Students