Admission to the PhD program will require ALL of the following requirements by the Admission Committee:
- Apply online through UTEP Graduate School: https://www.utep.edu/graduate/apply-now/apply-now.html
- Official transcripts and proof of degree (diplomas): Bachelor’s or master’s degree in any field of mathematics, science or engineering from an accredited institution in the United States, or proof of equivalent education in a foreign institution, will be considered. Documents are in a language other than English or Spanish must be accompanied by a certified English translation.
- GRE scores are valid for 5 years (please visit https://www.ets.org for more information; UTEP institution code 6829).
- TOEFL or IELTS scores are valid for 2 years for some international applicants: A minimum internet-based iBT of 79 (same as 550 for previous paper-based or 217 computer-based test scores) or 6.5 for IELTS is required for international applicants whose first language is not English and who have not completed a degree at a university in the U.S. or another English-speaking country. For assistantships awarded on a competitive merit basis among applicants not exempt from TOEFL, iBT scores of at least 100 are preferred. Click for a list of English language proficiency exempt countries.
- Statement of purpose (SOP): Essay written by the applicant on goals, academic and professional interests is required.
- Three letters of recommendation from people knowledgeable in the field.
Students admitted to the program without these basic skills will be required to complete leveling courses such as CS 1301 (Introduction to Computer Science) with CS 1101 (lab), MATH 3323 (Matrix Algebra), and MATH 2313 (Caculus III) during the first semester of enrollment. Applicants may prefer to apply for the MS degree only program, while PhD applicants not fully prepared for the PhD program may be admitted at MS level initially.
International applicants: Please visit the webpage for international applicants for additional information and requirements.
- March 1 for International Applicants
- July 1 for US or Mexican National Applicants
- September 1 for International Applicants
- December 1 for US or Mexican National Applicants