Tthe Career Center is here to offer support to graduate and doctoral level students in a number of career development areas. We understand that obtaining an advanced degree will increase the employment options you choose to pursue. You may consider employment in academia, private industry, government or the non-profit sector. Regardless of the career path you want to pursue, we have professional staff available to meet with you one-on-one to discuss your options.
Use the handouts below to help in your career exploration and preparation. The samples are simply a tool to guide you in creating your own personalized document. You can also receive assistance with your respective college liaison assigned to your academic college: Engineering; Business; Education, Liberal Arts, Science, Nursing/Health Sciences/Pharmacy, by scheduling an appointment through email or contacting our office at (915) 747-5640.
Recommendation Letter Tips From the Chronical of Higher Education
Action Words for a Resume
Vault: Career Intelligence: Provides employee surveys of top employers, career advice, job listings, and career guides to individual industries.
What Can I Do With This Major? Wondering how to connect majors to careers? Click on MAJORS of interest to see outlines of common career areas, employers, and strategies designed to maximize career opportunities.
360 Choices: Career exploration program used to identify majors and careers that match your interests, abilities, and work-related values.
My Next Move: An interactive tool for job searching and resources for various career options. My Next Move has tasks, skills, salary information, and more for over 900 different careers.
Mining Majors: View internship opportunities, student, and professional organizations, online resources, related job sites and occupations targeted to your major.
O-Net: Find descriptions of occupations and real-world information about them. Find career exploration tools, resources for veterans, information about tests and assessments, and questionnaires.
Build Your Network Tips from LinkedIn for Higher Education: Resources for strategic design and use on the benefits of LinkedIn profile and how to get started.
UTEP Alumni Association: Stay connected with a worldwide network of Miners.
Industry Research Vault: Career Intelligence: Provides employee surveys of top employers, career advice, job listings, and career guides to individual industries.
Candid Career: Provides thousands of informational video interviews featuring industry professionals through an easy to use website.
USAJOBS: Access thousands of job opportunities across hundreds of federal agencies and organizations. You can find open positions for a countless array of occupational areas, from accounting and air navigation to oceanography and podiatry.
Going Global: provides country-specific career and employment information, including world-wide internship and job postings, H1B employer listings, corporate profiles, and career resources for 30 countries. USE your UTEP login to access this site.
Company Reviews and Salary Company Reviews & Salary Search.
- Chronicle Vitae: Contains job listings, e-mail alert services, job search articles, a discussion forum, and useful links.
- Inside Higher Ed: Online source for news, job posting of higher education, career advice, and tools to advance your career.
- HigherEdJobs: Job database focused on college university positions.
- FindAPostDoc: Dedicated to listing jobs for new and recently qualified PhDs.
- Science Careers: Contains job openings, job fair announcements and career management articles.
- HASTAC: A community of humanists, artists, social scientists, scientists, and technologists, where you can connect with others, receive newsletters and announcements, blog, post funding and job opportunities.
- Academic Employment Network: Posting of academic positions, including teaching, school administration, and other jobs in higher education.
- Academic Careers Online: Contains world-wide job listings in universities, community colleges, and research institutes.
- JobMine (LINK: https://candidate.gradleaders.com/UTEP/Candidates/Login.aspx?pid=3371)
- UTEP Employment Opportunities
- Statement of Purpose Guidelines
- Research Statement Guidelines from the Career Center of The University of Washington
- Teaching Philosophy Statement Resources from The Center for Innovation in Teaching & Learning (CITL) at The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Tips for a successful academic search from Editage Insights
- Affiliate memberships to sites such as Versatile PhD, National Postdoctoral Association (NPA), Center for the Integration of Research, Teaching, and Learning (CIRTL), and Council of Graduate Schools (CGS), can be viewed and accessed courtesy of the Graduate School by clicking here.
- USAJOBS: Access thousands of job opportunities across hundreds of federal agencies and organizations. You can find open positions for a countless array of occupational areas, from accounting and air navigation to oceanography and podiatry.
- USA.gov: Provides government information, services, and job postings.
- Government Jobs: A government sector job board that provides tools to assist job seekers with the tools they need to seek government employment.
- Political Job Hunt: Offers the latest listings of jobs in politics, public policy and government affairs, tips to guide your job search, and email job alerts.
- Go Government: Guides others to consider, apply, and secure federal employment, research federal agencies and government careers, and provides tips for completing application.
- BestPlacesToWork: Provides an overview of agencies, rankings, trend data and expert analysis, side by side comparisons, views of the job, workplace, employee perspectives, pay, work-life balance, and other issues.
- Idealist: Primarily non-profit oriented opportunities, including international.
- Foundationalist: Job board designed for listing opportunities within the nonprofit sector.
- NonprofitJobs.org: A job site that gathers nonprofit personnel to job opportunities, ability to create candidate profiles, and career resource tools.
- Council on Foundations: Connects nonprofit professionals to the right nonprofit jobs and provide resources to enhance your career.
- ExecSearches.com: Find career related resources, job postings, and discussions targeting the nonprofit market that will help you and your specific goal.