The Career Center supports graduate and doctoral level students in a number of career development areas. We understand that obtaining an advanced degree will open additional employment avenues you may choose to pursue. You may consider employment in academia, private industry, government or the non-profit sector. Regardless of the career path you want to pursue, we have professional staff available to meet with you one-on-one to discuss your options. In addition, we encourage you to research the resources that the UTEP Graduate School has to offer by visiting their site.
This database is a free index to more than 172,000 theses and dissertations accepted at American universities from 1902 to the present.
ERIC is an online index of academic journals and non-journal research sources. Journals include education-related articles while non-journals offer more broad-based research options
This online writing lab houses writing resources and instructional material.
This site contains expert advice and personal stories from academics and industry professionals, from career choices to networking tips
A wealth of career tools for scientists at all stages of their careers in addition to blog posts
This site and its initiatives prepare doctoral students in the humanities for careers outside of academia
- Chronicle Vitae: Contains job listings, e-mail alert services, job search articles, a discussion forum, and useful links.
- National Postdoctoral Association: Use their career center to search and apply for multiple jobs
- UniversityJobs.com: The leading source for University and College jobs
- Postdoc Jobs: A great source used for postdoc recruiting
- Inside Higher Ed: Online source for news, job posting of higher education, career advice, and tools to advance your career.
- HigherEdJobs: Job database focused on college university positions.
- FindAPostDoc: Dedicated to listing jobs for new and recently qualified PhDs.
- Science Careers: Contains job openings, job fair announcements and career management articles.
- HASTAC: A community of humanists, artists, social scientists, scientists, and technologists, where you can connect with others, receive newsletters and announcements, blog, post-funding, and job opportunities.
- Academic Employment Network: Posting of academic positions, including teaching, school administration, and other jobs in higher education.
- Academic Careers Online: Contains worldwide job listings in universities, community colleges, and research institutes.
- Job Mine (LINK: https://candidate.gradleaders.com/UTEP/Candidates/Login.aspx?pid=3371)
- UTEP Employment Opportunities
- USAJOBS: Access thousands of job opportunities across hundreds of federal agencies and organizations. You can find open positions for a countless array of occupational areas, from accounting and air navigation to oceanography and podiatry.
- USA.gov: Provides government information, services, and job postings.
- Government Jobs: A government sector job board that provides tools to assist job seekers with the tools they need to seek government employment.
- Political Job Hunt: Offers the latest listings of jobs in politics, public policy and government affairs, tips to guide your job search, and email job alerts.
- Idealist: Primarily non-profit oriented opportunities, including international.
- Foundationalist: Job board designed for listing opportunities within the nonprofit sector.
- NonprofitJobs.org: A job site that gathers nonprofit personnel to job opportunities, the ability to create candidate profiles, and career resource tools.
- Council on Foundations: Connects nonprofit professionals to the right nonprofit jobs and provide resources to enhance your career.
- ExecSearches.com: Find career-related resources, job postings, and discussions targeting the nonprofit market that will help you and your specific goal.
Schlumberger: This company consists of Research Scientists, Research Engineers, and Research Associates. (STEM majors)
GovernmentJobs: If you are interested in social or scientific research and analytics, look into the government department of education and research. (STEM, Business and Liberal Arts majors)
Association for Institutional Research: This association supports higher education professionals in the collection, analysis, interpretation, and communication of data. (Liberal Arts and Business Majors)
LinkedIn: Use this professional social media site to search for clinical research jobs. (STEM and Liberal Arts majors)
Career Builder: CareerBuilder has helped millions of people find jobs and has equipped thousands of employers with the talent they need. (STEM and Liberal Arts majors)
HigherEd Jobs: This website is all about finding research careers within universities, and can help you find a research career across the United States and abroad (STEM and Liberal Arts majors)
St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital: As a scientist at St. Jude, you'll not only benefit from a creative environment — you'll also have exceptional technology and resources at your fingertips. (STEM majors)
SOCRA for Clinical Research Excellence: A non-profit, charitable and educational membership organization committed to providing opportunities to all persons involved in clinical research activities. (STEM majors)
City of Hope: A leading research and treatment center for cancer, diabetes and other life-threatening diseases. It is known for rapid translation of scientific research into new treatments. (STEM majors)
C+R Research: A company dedicated to research, innovation, and creativity. They are hiring talented researchers and professionals from a variety of backgrounds. (Business majors)
Chadwick Martin Bailey: The positions commonly posted are: Associate Market Researchers, Market Research Project Managers, and Market Research Account Directors (Business majors)
Premier Research: This biotech company is looking for candidates that share their commitment to developing life-changing therapies. (Business and STEM majors)
TheUNIjobs: Times Higher Education (THE) is a company with the world’s most influential university ranking, and has a job posting board for research positions. (Liberal Arts majors)
UT Southwestern: https://jobs.utsouthwestern.edu/jobs/research-laboratory/
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center El Paso: https://elpasojobs.ttuhsc.edu/
The Ohio State University: https://wexnermedical.osu.edu/careers/current-openings/researchUniversity of Massachusetts Medical School: https://www.ummsjobs.com/jobs/?category=21
- Check out the dates for the five different Career Fairs the Career Center hosts throughout the academic year.
- Learn more about how to answer behavioral questions and what steps to take when preparing for an interview.
- Make an appointment with a Career Center professional staff that is assigned to your college by calling or emailing at 915-747-5640 or email@example.com.
- Graduate CV General Sample (PDF)
- Graduate Resume General Sample (PDF)
- Cover Letter/ Letter of Interest Sample (PDF)
- Thank You Letter Sample (PDF)
- Statement of Purpose (PDF)
- References Sample (PDF)
- Recommendation Letter Tips From the Chronical of Higher Education (PDF)
- Interview Strategies (PDF)
- Interview Wardrobe (PDF)
- Elevator Speech (PDF)
- Accomplishment Statements for a Resume (PDF)
- Action Words for a Résumé (PDF)
- Curriculum Vitae Guidelines (PDF)