Confirmation of Financial Resources (CFR)
The figures on this page are an estimate of how much it may cost to attend UTEP for one academic year and should not be used to determine actual costs or used for any other purpose other than for OIP to issue Form I-20/DS-2019. All documents submitted to OIP will only be used to show availability of funds; students will not make any payments to OIP.
USE THE INFORMATION BELOW TO DETERMINE THE FUNDING AND DOCUMENTATION REQUIRED.
All amounts on this page are subject to change at any time.
Calculating Costs - Academic Year 2024 (Fall '23 and Spring '24)
Documents to Submit
All newly admitted and transfer students must submit a copy of their UTEP Admission Letter.
All returning students, depending on the time away from UTEP, must submit an eligibility of enrollment document or an admission letter.
All students MUST submit Confirmation of Financial Resources (CFR) through the Admission Checklist in Sunapsis portal. Students will need the same documents and information during the visa interview (F-1 or J-1 visas).
Use all or any of the following documents, when providing proof of funding:
- TA/RA Assistantship letter
- Scholarships/awards letter
- Financial statements or bank letters showing liquid funding only
Notes about documents from family members/sponsors:
Any individual and/or family member other than the student providing financial support MUST submit a notarized Sponsor Certification Form.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: If the student will have a room and board sponsor who they will live with in the El Paso area, they may deduct USD 11,200 from the total shown above. However, a photo ID or a recent utility statement showing the sponsor's name and the address where the student will reside MUST be provided in addition to the Sponsor Certification Form (sponsor cannot be another international student).
Notes about financial statements:
- All statements/letters must show the name of the account holder, account type, account number, type of currency, account balance, and date of issue
- Statements must be dated within 3 months of submitting the CFR
- Funds must be liquid (immediately available for withdrawal)
- Students/sponsors may provide evidence of financial resources using the Bank Affidavit Form instead of a financial statement
- Acceptable sources: checking and savings accounts, certificates of deposit (CDs) that have reached their maturity or will reach maturity prior to the start of the student's first semester.
- Unacceptable sources: tax documents, income letters, paystubs, property, life insurance, pension plans, stocks, bonds, or any other non-liquid investments.