Support & Inclusion
The Graduate School is committed to fostering an inclusive, safe, and diverse culture of graduate education in the UTEP community.
The UTEP Graduate Student Assembly (GSA)
The Graduate Student Assembly (GSA) provides a safe environment for students from various departments to meet and discuss issues unique to graduate students at UTEP. The goal of these meetings is to address immediate graduate student concerns as well as form an active association that will continue this process throughout the school year.
The GSA is currently accepting nominations for 2019 - 2020 leadership:GSA Election Nomination Form
Discussions on Diversity
The UTEP Graduate School hosts informal conversations about diversity in higher education—both from the point of view of the challenges facing individuals from underrepresented groups and in terms of university efforts to create diverse academic communities on campus. Any graduate student or postdoc interested in this topic is welcome to attend.
Lactation & Breastfeeding LocationsUTEP currently has two lactation locations:
- Family Friendly Room- Union West, Room 112
- College of Health Science/School of Nursing Lactation Station-Room 400
For information about appointments, please call (915) 747-6738 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Graduate students and Postdocs may contact The Graduate School to request assistance with challenges related to academic success, administrative issues, and inclusion and diversity. Students can contact our staff to schedule an appointment.
National Postdoctoral Association (NPA)
The NPA website provides an array of resources of interest to postdocs, their mentors, and graduate students considering a postdoctoral fellowship. These resources include a Toolkit on Mentoring, section on Diversity Programs and Resources, as well as discussions of other current issues and best practices.
Graduate students, faculty, staff, and postdocs can apply for Affiliate membership by clicking here and using their UTEP email address.
Other Resources Related to Inclusion and Diversity in Graduate School
The Graduate School reminds graduate students to find balance and take advantage of support services at UTEP:
- UTEP Title IX Officers
- Rainbow Miner Initiative
- UTEP Counseling & Psychological Services
- UTEP Equal Opportunity Office
- MIlitary Student Success Center
- UTEP Center for Accommodations & Support Services (CASS)
- UTEP Student Engagement & Leadership Center (varied programming and on-campus food bank)
- UTEP Foster Homeless Adopted Resources (FHAR)
- Chronicle of Higher Education—“Imposter Syndrome is Definitely a Thing”
- Inside Higher Ed—Diversity Matters
- American Council on Education—Campus Diversity and Inclusion
- AAC&U—Diversity, Equity, & Inclusive Excellence
- Council of Graduate Schools—Inclusiveness
- NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program—Diversity in STEM