Voice at UTEP
- Bachelor of Music in Performance
- Bachelor of Music in Music Education
- Bachelor of Music in Commercial Music
- Master of Music in Performance
- Master of Music in Education
- Master of Music in Choral Conducting (Also available as an online program)
Voice Area Handbook
UTEP boasts a world-class voice faculty and offers students a variety of courses that promote a strong technical and pedagogical foundation. Students have access to a number of performing opportunities including several choral groups, Opera Workshop, Commercial Music Ensemble, Mariachi los Mineros, Early Music Ensemble, weekly area recitals, studio classes, and guest artist master classes.
The commercial singer at UTEP is taught a strong foundation in classical voice in addition to learning to sing a variety of commercial styles. As their study progresses, their repertoire is further geared toward the individual's commercial strengths. Additionally, all Commercial Music majors take courses in music technology, music business, arranging, improvisation, and recording. UTEP's state-of-the-art recording studio gives students hands-on engineering and recording experience.
UTEP’s choirs include Cantare (SSA chorus), Singing Miners (TB chorus), the Concert Chorale, and Chamber Singers. Since 2015, the UTEP Chamber Singers have traveled every other year to Leeds, England, for a week-long residency in the cathedral. In 2014, UTEP choir students and faculty were part of the Opera Bhutan project which joined international soloists in the Kingdom of Bhutan to perform Handel’s Acis and Galatea, marking the first time a Western opera was performed in that country. The UTEP Choirs also enjoy regular collaboration with the El Paso Symphony Orchestra and other regional orchestras. All are welcome to participate in Cantare and the Singing Miners, while the Chorale and Chamber Singers are selected by audition.
Students in the Opera Workshop class ("Opera UTEP") present shows in the fall and spring. Scenes from lyric theater (including opera, operetta, zarzuela and musical theater) as well as one-act and full-length operas are produced, according to the needs and abilities of the students enrolled in the class. Opera UTEP enjoys a close partnership with El Paso Opera, offering students opportunities to perform in and assist behind the scenes with mainstage shows and/or as "Junior Artists" or "Resident Artists."
- Brian Downen, M.M., Voice Area Coordinator, Applied Voice, Graduate DIction, Director of Cantare (Treble Choir)
- Cherry Duke, A.D., Director of Opera UTEP, Applied Voice
- Diana Esparza, M.M., Applied Voice, Class Voice, Diction
- Elisa Fraser Wilson, D.M.A., Director of Choral Activities, the Concert Chorale and the Chamber Singers; Graduate Choral Conducting
- Phillip D. Hill, D.M.A., Applied Voice, Vocal Pedagogy, Song Literature
- Alexander Kariotis, M.M., Applied Voice, Commercial Music, Class Voice
- Elvin Porflit, M.M., Conducting, Director of The Singing Miners (TBB Choir)
Should you have questions about the voice area, please contact any faculty member, or Brian Downen: email@example.com.
Join other talented singers in a fun-filled week of activities geared toward learning the Texas All-State literature. Held every July. Click here for more information, and/or contact Dr. Elisa Fraser Wilson.