Good Neighbor Scholarship
APPLICATIONS ARE NOW OPEN!
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT VIA SUNAPSIS: FEBRUARY 28, 2024 BY 1:00PM MST (see application requirements below)
The Good Neighbor Scholarship (GNS) Program is designed to encourage academically talented students from the countries of the Western (American) hemisphere (other than Cuba and the U.S.) to pursue higher education in the State of Texas, thus establishing a beneficial link between the State of Texas and the home country of the students.
This scholarship is available to current UTEP students. Prospective and future students are ineligible to apply.
The Good Neighbor Scholarship provides an exemption from the payment of tuition (not fees) for the 12-month period beginning with the fall semester following selection as a scholarship recipient. Students who are awarded the scholarship during the Spring semester will begin receiving the benefit in the Fall semester.
- Applicants must: have resided in the Western (American) Hemisphere for a period of at least five years;
- Applicants cannot be members of the Communist Party;
- Applicants cannot have applied for Permanent Resident status in the U.S., or have dual citizenship that includes the U.S.;
- Applicants must be enrolled in a UTEP program and maintaining satisfactory academic progress toward a UTEP degree at the time of application;
- Applicants must be a bona fide native-born citizen and resident of an eligible country; and
- Applicants must meet GPA requirements (Undergraduate students: 2.0; Graduate students: 3.0).
Application & Requirements
Apply through Sunapsis in the "Awards and Scholarships" tab. Complete each question. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Hard copies of documents will not be accepted. Upload the following materials:
- Copy of your unofficial UTEP transcript ONLY
- Resumé/CV (contact the UTEP Career Center if you need assistance creating or updating your resume)
- An essay of 250 – 750 words describing your goals, your accomplishments, and any other key elements of your story that you think the committee should consider
Eligible Countries (Independent nations located in Western Hemisphere)
|Antigua and Barbuda
|Belize (British Honduras)
|Saint Kitts & Nevis
|St. Vincent & the Grenadines
|Trinidad and Tobago
INELIGIBLE Western Hemisphere Countries
|Anguilla (territory of United Kingdom)
|Aruba (Part of Kingdom of the Netherlands)
|Bouvet Island (Norwegian dependency)
|Cayman Islands (British administration)
|Clipperton Islands (possession of France)
|Cuba (ineligible by statute)
|Faulkland Islands (Great Britain)
|French Guiana (French Overseas Department)
|Guadeloupe (Department of France)
|Montserrat (Overseas territory of the United Kingdom)
|Netherland Antilles (Autonomous territory of the Netherlands)
|St. Helena (British colony)
|St. Pierre & Miquelon (Self-governing territorial collectivity of France)
|S. Georgia & S. Sandwich Islands (British Administration)
|Turks & Caicos Islands (British Overseas territory)