Candidates must complete an application for graduation with their respective academic dean. It should be initiated during the next-to-last semester or session and completed no later than the deadline published in the on-line Class Schedule.
Master’s and doctoral students
Candidates must begin the application process with their advisors. Graduate degree candidates must submit an Application for Graduate Degree and final degree plan during the semester they expect to graduate and by the deadline stated in the on-line Class Schedule. Please access the following link to get more information on graduation guidelines:
|Graduation Application Fee (If applied by deadline set each semester)||$35.00|
|Late Graduation Application Fee (If applied after deadline set each semester)||$50.00|
Graduation application fee is not refundable. A student who defers graduation to the following term must reapply for graduation. However, the student will not be required to repay the graduation application fee.
NOTE: To have your name appear in the printed Commencement Program, your application must be submitted by the official submission deadline to the Registration and Records Office.
The purpose of this program is to provide a financial incentive for you to complete a bachelor's degree efficiently, taking as few courses outside your degree plan as possible. The program's goal is minimizing the number of courses you take -- saving money for you, your parents, and the State of Texas.
For details on Eligibility Requirements, please access the following link:
- Formal commencement ceremonies are held in May for all candidates who complete degree requirements during the spring semester and in December for fall candidates.
- There is no summer commencement, nor are there commencement ceremonies for students whose degrees are conferred in February, June, or October.
- Students whose degrees are conferred in February are invited to participate in the May commencement ceremony.
- Students whose degrees are conferred in June or August (summer candidates) are invited to participate in the May commencement ceremony if no more than six (6) hours are needed to complete the degree prior to August 15. Summer candidates' names will not appear in the May program. Summer candidates who do not participate in May commencement can participate in December commencement. Summer candidates' names will appear only in the December program.
- Students whose degrees are conferred in October are invited to participate in the December commencement ceremony.
- If a Nondisclosure of Directory Information (confidential) request on file, the University will not release the candidate’s name for any commencement publications that are made available to the public. The candidate can request the removal of the nondisclosure request by emailing their request using their UTEP email account to firstname.lastname@example.org, or in person at the Registration and Records Office.
- Degrees are conferred approximately two months following the end of each long semester (December and May) and at the end of the long summer session (August). The degree will be posted to the transcript with the commencement date for each long semester and the last day of finals for the long summer session.
- The name appears on the diploma as it appears on the official university record. Only legal names can appear on the diploma.
- The degree title will appear in the center of the diploma below the student’s name. The student’s major(s) will appear on the diploma only if it is not included in the official degree title. Institutional academic honors awarded will appear below the major(s).
- Certificates, concentrations, endorsements, minors, honors earned in the department or the University Honors Program will only appear on the student’s academic transcript and NOT on the diploma.
- Diplomas are mailed to the address provided by the student
- A graduating student who has an outstanding financial obligation with the university will not receive a diploma or transcript until such obligation is satisfied in full. To clear the financial debt, contact the Student Business Services Office at (915) 747-5116.