Reserving Outdoor Space
Student Organizations may reserve outdoor space by submitting an online Event Request Form through MineTracker. Login to minetracker.utep.edu and go to your organization's page in order to submit a request. All requests must be submitted with a minimum of 1 week advance notice. Large-scale events may require more advance notice. Learn more information about Student Organization Event Requests here.
University Departments and Faculty/Staff (for a course)
University Departments may request space for events via our Outdoor Space Reservation Form. One this form is submitted, our team will review the request and communicate with you regarding space availability and next steps.
The following fields may be included in the form based on the type of event you are requesting:
- Event Name
- Date(s) requesting
- Location(s) requesting
- Time(s) requesting (event time and setup time)
- Event detailed description
- Set-up and/or logistical needs
- Special requests or event needs
- Anticipated attendee count
For questions, please contact us at SELC@utep.edu or 915-747-5670.
Off-campus entity/Community Partners
Any off-campus entity interested in reserving space must first seek permission to host an event on the UTEP campus through University Relations. Please contact them via e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) or via phone (915-747-5000) to inquire about holding an event on campus as a community partner/off-campus entity.
The Student Engagement & Leadership Center managing the system of reserving outdoor space on the UTEP campus. We have a number of available spaces for a variety of your on-campus event needs. Read below for more information on the available spaces to reserve. Click here to learn more about how to reserve.
Liberal Arts Lawn
Dinner Theater Patio
In order to maintain lawns, plazas and patios, a schedule for regular maintenance has been implemented which prevents the scheduling of events on certain days/times. In addition, the following regulations have been adopted to prevent excessive damage and to allow for this maintenance.
The General Policies listed below apply to all spaces:
- No motorized vehicles shall be permitted on lawns, planted areas or decomposed granite.
- No person shall injure, deface, remove, cut or damage any of the trees, plants, shrubs, sidewalks, or structures therein (includes chalk, colored powder, spray paint, etc.).
- Bike riding or skateboarding is prohibited on lawns. (Note: UTEP’s full Bicycle Policy can be found here.)
- Lawns may not be used for contact/team sports such as but not limited to football, rugby, baseball, volleyball or soccer. Appropriate space for these types of activities can be scheduled through Recreational Sports. Only light active recreation such as Frisbee, jogging, or hacky sack are permitted. Registered student organizations or University Departments interested in organized team sports may contact Recreational Sports at 915-747-5103 to reserve field space for these activities.
- Cleats are prohibited.
- Golf clubs are prohibited.
- Stakes from tents, signage or other items are not allowed to be inserted into the ground without first obtaining permission from the Student Engagement and Leadership Center.
- The use of tables and chairs for programs/events must be requested prior to your event and approved by the Student Engagement and Leadership Center.
- Banners/signs cannot be tied or affixed to trees or other structures.
- Permission must be obtained from the Student Engagement and Leadership Center for the use of amplified sound. Refer to each location for specific days and times amplified sound is allowed.
- Fire pits require prior approval and consideration will be given for evening events only. The fire pits are architectural features that are not designed for cooking, grilling or warming food/beverages. This is completely prohibited.
- UTEP is a smoke free campus.
- Trespassing and soliciting are prohibited. Only students, faculty, staff or alumni of UTEP, or other persons having specific business herein, may utilize a University facility.
- No glass containers or alcoholic beverages are allowed.
- Weddings are prohibited.
- Tailgating policies and procedures can be found here.
- All reservations will be made on a first come, first serve basis.
- The Student Engagement and Leadership Center reserves the right to prohibit use of lawns at any time due to field conditions and maintenance requirements.
The University of Texas Board Of Regents generally prohibits the solicitation of merchandise or products on university property. If the presentation and exhibition of material is an integral part of the conference a company may exhibit and solicit materials in accordance with the following terms:
- Only instructional or educational publications, books, aids, or other materials may be exhibited during and after the conference, and
- Sales are limited to those educational items directly related to the purpose of the conference. Orders generated from conference attendees can also be taken during and after the conference. Prior approval should be obtained from the Office of the Vice President for Business Affairs.
Food and Beverages
The University has a contract with Food Services by Sodexo to provide all food and beverages for all University events. Contact the Catering Office at 915-747-7455, Union Building East, Room 210B for further information.
Registered Student Organizations (RSOs) may seek approval for fundraising events involving food items from Food Services through the Mine Tracker event request form submitted for the space request (no additional form is needed).
Audio/Visual Equipment, Tables and Chairs
If audio/visual equipment, tables, chairs, etc. are required, the registered student organization will be referred to Facilities Services and/or Special Events to accommodate these requests. All final event layouts must be approved by the SELC.
University persons and organizations may use amplified sound on campus at designated times and locations, subject to the rules in the Handbook of Operating Procedures subchapter and to the general rules in 2.2 and 2.3. Advance permission is required. Refer to each location for specific days and times amplified sound is approved.
Tents and Signage
The Student Engagement and Leadership Center has the final decision in determining if tents, signage or other items are permitted to be inserted into the ground. This request must be included on the activity request form and will be reviewed by the SELC staff.
Registered student organizations with outstanding balances owed to the SELC will not be allowed to reserve space until balances have been cleared.
Damage to space or equipment will result in appropriate disciplinary action and/or charges on a time and material basis for replacements or repair of the damage to the appropriate university property.
Registered student organizations who fail to cancel within 24 hours of their scheduled event will be assessed a minimum $25 Cancellation Fee. Please note this fee will vary per space and resources requested.
The Student Engagement and Leadership Center has final approval on all requests and has the right to cancel a registered student organization’s event at any time.
Inclement Weather Cancellations
The Student Engagement and Leadership Center reserves the right to cancel an event due to inclement weather. This decision will be made no later than 24 hours before the event is scheduled to begin. In the event the SELC cancels, no cancellation fee will be assessed. All decisions made by the SELC staff are final.