Registering and Dropping
Note: Instructions on this page for registering and dropping are applicable to students in UTEP Connect fully online programs only. All other students should visit the Registration and Records website for more information.
Register using a CRN
UTEP Connect online courses are not visible on Goldmine so you must register using a CRN. A Course Reference Number (CRN) is a unique 5-digit identifier assigned to a class for registration purposes. You must remember that once you register, you will be assessed tuition and fees and it is your responsibility to pay.
After you have received your CRNs, follow the steps outlined here and in the slides below to register.
- Go to my.utep.edu and enter your UTEP username and password. Once logged in, click on the Goldmine link.
- Next, click on the Registration link and then on the Add/Drop Classes link.
- The first time you register for courses each semester, you will find a Financial Liability Agreement and Acknowledgement of Withdrawal Procedures. Please read and choose an answer.
- Choose the semester and year you are registering for in the Select a Term drop down menu. Click the Submit button.
- Click on Add/Drop Classes.
- At the bottom of the page, enter all CRNs (provided to you by your advisor) in the text boxes under Add Classes Worksheet. Click on Submit Changes.
- Once submitted, your registered courses should be listed under Current Schedule.
Parts of Term
The number and length of courses are dependent on your level, (undergraduate or graduate) and your program of study. Most of the online courses are set up in a 7-week format. Some programs and courses are offered in a 14-week format. The semester is divided into two parts, Term A and Term B. The Part of Term (POT) identifies if the course is a 7-week Term A course, 7-week Term B course, or a 14-week course.
It is important for you to be aware of the type of course you are enrolled in because the POT drives the course start date, tuition payment deadline, and the partial financial liability for dropped courses.
The slides below explain how the parts of term are designated and what they represent.
Dropping a Course
These instructions are applicable to students in UTEP Connect fully online programs only. All other students should visit the Registration and Records website for more information.
Before dropping any course we strongly encourage you to contact the Financial Aid Office at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out how your financial aid eligibility could be impacted by dropping the course(s). If you are a military-affiliated student, you may also need to contact the MSSC to learn how your benefits may be impacted by dropping the course(s). Also, contact your assigned Student Success Advisor to receive assistance with updating your degree plan and/or course selections. (Note: if you are only enrolled in one course you will be withdrawing from the semester, rather than dropping the course):
To drop a course, email email@example.com from your Miners email and copy firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information (you MUST use your Miners email address; requests from other email addresses will not be processed):
- Your name and Student ID
- Course(s) information (e.g.: CRN: 68974 UNIV 1301); this information can be found on the checklist provided by your Student Success Advisor
- Brief statement about why you are dropping
Be aware that if you drop any course on or after the first day of classes for that course, you will still be responsible for a percentage of the tuition. Please contact Student Business Services (SBS) for additional tuition information at email@example.com or 915-747-5116. Make sure to mention that you are a fully online student. Should you have any questions, please contact your advisor at 1-800-684-UTEP (8837) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students may submit formal grade appeals to the Faculty Senate's Grievance Committee. More information is available on the Dean of Students Office website.