Online Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing
- One of the only 100% online MFAs in Creative Writing and the world's only online MFA with a bilingual option (English and Spanish).
- Designed for writers with great talent and drive in fiction and poetry who need a master’s in Creative Writing to teach at University level but are unable to come on campus
- Provides access to a stellar faculty including world-renowned poets and fiction writers
The online Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing is the only one of its kind and single-minded in its focus to help students become better writers. We do this by creating an exclusive community that includes well-known literary personalities and published authors; students also learn the practical skills needed to hone their craft.
This is a highly competitive program for serious writers with the potential for great literary significance. Thanks to the unique bilingual option, this degree is also the only way for someone writing in Spanish to receive an MFA completely online.
WHY AN ONLINE MASTER OF FINE ARTS IN CREATIVE WRITING DEGREE?
A master’s degree in Creative Writing is perfect for students who
- Work full-time and want to go on to pursue a career in writing or teaching at the university level
- Are serious writers who want to publish
- Need to learn strategies (like making time for writing) they can use to make them better writers, even with full-time jobs
- Want to be a part of an international community of writers without borders
We also offer an optional low-residency opportunity every summer in Europe, such cities as London, Paris, and Madrid. The UTEP Career Center provides graduates with resources to help them pursue their career goals.
Our department is filled with world-renowned, award-winning, bilingual faculty who bring their talent to the classroom; among our ranks are Rosa Alcalá, Andrea Cote Botero, José de Piérola, Tim Z. Hernandez, Sasha R. Pimentel, Jeff Sirkin, Lex Williford and Daniel Chacón. We also have Visiting Writers every semester and provide every opportunity for you to learn from the best. In the past we have hosted Natalie Diaz, Laurie Ann Guerrero, and Heather Hartley.
The University of Texas at El Paso and its access and excellence mission are redefining public higher education not only in Texas, but also across the nation. At UTEP, we believe that an accessible and affordable education should be available to all. Online degrees such as the master of defense and strategic studies help make higher education a possibility for those who are unable to come to campus because of other responsibilities. Here’s what sets UTEP apart:
- UTEP is one of the major economic engines in the Paso del Norte region, adding $1.4 billion to the local economy annually.
- UTEP enrolls more than 25,000 students – about 80% of them Hispanic – and is the only doctoral research university in the nation with a majority Mexican-American student body. With its 36%-Hispanic faculty composition, UTEP also boasts one of the highest proportions of minority faculty among research universities in the United States.
- UTEP has attained a coveted R1 designation (top tier doctoral university with very high research activity) in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. UTEP is one of only 130 (4.5%) top tier universities among the 2,883 four-year higher education institutions across the U.S. to earn this prestigious R1 distinction, joining the ranks of such universities as Stanford, M.I.T., Michigan, Arizona and California-Berkeley.
- With $90 million in total annual research expenditures, UTEP ranks third among University of Texas System academic institutions in federal research spending. Funding is received from the National Science Foundation, the National Institutes of Health, the Department of Energy, the Environmental Protection Agency, National Endowment for the Humanities and other agencies.
- UTEP is ranked as the best return on investment and one of the most affordable emerging research institutions in higher education in the country according to collegecost.ed.gov. Also, per collegescorecard.ed.gov, the average net price per year at The University of Texas at El Paso was significantly lower than other universities across Texas.
- Affordableschools.net also ranks UTEP as one of the top most affordable Latinx/Hispanic-Serving Institutions with online bachelor’s degrees.
- UTEP awards $88 million in scholarships annually and $192 million in financial aid (over 88% of UTEP students receive financial aid).
- The Brookings Institution in 2017 ranked UTEP as the No. 1 leader in equal access to higher education, based on a combination of research productivity and student social mobility.
- The Carnegie Corporation of New York also recently recognized the University for its institutional vision and commitment to quality, diversity, curricular innovation and investment in our community.
- UTEP is a part of the Military Times’ Best: Colleges 2018 rankings.
- Hispanic Business magazine consistently ranks graduate programs in both Business Administration and Engineering in the Top 10 in the nation.
- UTEP is regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS).
ONLINE MASTER OF FINE ARTS IN CREATIVE WRITING CURRICULUM
The online Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing is a highly competitive program that requires a total of 48 semester credit hours; this includes 42 semester credit hours of workshops and literature classes, and six hours of thesis during which students complete a publishable manuscript in poetry or fiction.
A detailed list of courses is available at https://www.utep.edu/liberalarts/creative-writing/academic-programs/online/curriculum.html