Online Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing
48 credit hours | In-state tuition: $490/credit hour | Out-of-state tuition: $575/credit hour
- One of the only 100% online MFAs in Creative Writing
- Designed for writers with great talent and drive in fiction and poetry who need a master’s in Creative Writing to teach at University level
- Provides access to a stellar faculty including world-renowned poets and fiction writers
- Ranked as one of the best Master’s in Creative Writing degree programs for 2019 on TheBestSchools.org
Why Creative Writing at UTEP?
The online Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing is the only one of its kind and single-minded in its focus to help students become better writers at their own pace. We do this by creating an exclusive community that includes well-known literary personalities and published authors; students also learn the practical skills needed to hone their craft.
This is a highly competitive program for serious writers with the potential for great literary significance.
A master’s degree in creative writing is perfect for students who
- Work full-time and want to go on to pursue a career in writing or teaching at the university level
- Are serious writers who want to publish
- Need to learn strategies to become better writers
- Want to be a part of an international community of writers without borders
We also offer an optional low-residency opportunity every summer in Europe, in such cities as London, Paris, and Madrid. The UTEP Career Center provides graduates with resources to help them pursue their career goals.
Still wondering if this degree can help you get a job? Here's some info that might help you make up your mind.
"I am actively trying to publish my first novel." - David Place, GraduateMEET MORE STUDENTS
Learn With Award-Winning Faculty
Our department is filled with world-renowned, award-winning, bilingual faculty who bring their talent to the classroom; among our ranks are Andrea Cote Botero, José de Piérola, Tim Z. Hernandez, Sasha R. Pimentel, Jeff Sirkin, Lex Williford, Sylvia A. Zéleny and Daniel Chacón. Award-winning writers who have served as guest faculty and shared their expertise with our students include Natalie Diaz, Laurie Ann Guerrero, Heather Hartley, Carolina Ebeid, and JD Pluecker.
MEET TIM HERNANDEZ, an award-winning writer and performance artist and assistant professor in the MFA in Creative Writing program at UTEP. He teaches Fiction, Non-Fiction, and Poetry. He also teaches foundational courses, such as Narrative Theory & Poetics, as well as more specialized courses, like Variable Topics: Turning Research Into Writing, Antropoesia, and Social Action Writing.
The online Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing is a highly competitive program that requires a total of 48 semester credit hours; this includes 42 semester credit hours of workshops and literature classes, and six hours of thesis during which students complete a publishable manuscript in poetry or fiction.
A detailed list of courses is available at https://www.utep.edu/liberalarts/creative-writing/academic-programs/online/curriculum.html
Like what you see? Here are some tips to get you accepted and on your way to becoming a successful writer!